Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REPOST just incase no one views the asian forum. MODS delete this thread here only if you feel it does not need to be in two places, I just need some ideas and responses due to my lack of traveling abroad..

Hello everyone. If all goes as planned I will be going from Aug. 2nd till the 11th in Tokyo.

To start off, I have some questions. What type of medical records, if any, will I need, and do I need to go get any immunizations? This will be my first time out of country except for Mexico, so I need to get caught up on things I need, other than my passport.

Now, I know there are SOOOOOOO many things to see and do in Japan, I would love to try to get the fullest experience I can in the short time of being there. I was thinking a good idea would be to get a rail pass and ect. so I could get out of the city to explore some, and needed some ideas of what I should check out and if there were any beach's I should check out while I am there.

Also, I would like to try to meet up with some car guys, and or Supra guys so they could show me the scene there as I will be traveling solo on this trip. Also, would like to pick up some car stuff like Lic. plates and maybe a part or two for my MKIII.

Another thing I would like to check out is the club/night life there and then durring the day check out maybe something like Sony, or Toyota HQ or something.

Thanks for any ideas, or help in finding someone who could show me around. This would be of the greatest help to me. :bigthumb:

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
X2daC said:
Can you get me a passenger side R33 HID head light?
Haha I can look, but I do not think I have the cash to just purchase stuff and be paid back later. How much do they sell for?

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
You'd better get immunized against LHDs, you're going to see a lot of them out there. :rofl:

Anyway, you're not going in the jungle, man, you don't need any extra protection than the one you're using to go to your local mall...It's the safest place I've been to. Take some cash with you, it's not a problem to walk around with your pockets loaded, and it could be hard to find ATMs that accepts US cards (assuming they are working in english)...I believe there are only Citibank's ATMs for you to use. Japanese don't use credits cards much anyway, and life in Tokyo could be really expensive if you go out of your hotel room, so having cash handy is the best thing IMO.

If you are going to stay for a few days, make a trip on a saturday or sunday to Super Autobacs in Shinonome (Shinonome station, near the bay, next to the Route 357) with a camera...the parking only is worth the trip and the shop is fully loaded with parts, books, scale models and show-cars for sale.

There must be some others, but I'm the only foreign Supra guy downtown Tokyo I know of...
Toyota's main HQ are pretty far from Tokyo, but they have two big showrooms. The biggest and most interesting one is in Odaiba, south of the city on the bay (where you must go and have a look at anyway as it is a very particular place in Tokyo), not far from Super Autobacs.
(Tokyo Teleport station on the Rinkai line or Aomi station on the Yurikamome line)

Apart from that, just go around at night in crowded places like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Roppongi and get yourself wasted...Everything else you should do will be in your guidebook.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Its been a few years since I was there, but really I didn't whitness a whole lot of crime while I was there. For the most part every body was very friendly when trying to get around town.

I would suggest going and travling the sheki-san (bullett train IIRC) and go and see some of the mountain shrines.

I also suggest visiting at least one autobacs, be it super autobacs or just a plain old autobacs. If you take a video camera or camera period in there, be ready for every one to start pointing and giggling at the silly American.

Some words to remember:

-Baka (stupid)
-Baka chin chin (supid cock sucker)
-Hi hi (yes yes)
-Mosh moshi or moshi moshi (hello on the phone)
-Kompi! (cheers!)
-Chimpocomon (cock sucker master, no seriously it is)
-Ohio gozimas (Good morning or good night I don't remember)

Be very careful when going to the "cowboy bars". If ladies come and sit with you, THEY AREN'T FREE. They are for "eating company" and you can very easily walk out with a $1000 tab

Try and eat at a hibachi restraunt. Its a real trip. Don't worry about eating beef there, its safe.

If you can, find some kobe' beef and try it if its not tooo expensive.

Thats all I can think of now....

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mdcmotorsports said:
Its been a few years since I was there, but really I didn't whitness a whole lot of crime while I was there. For the most part every body was very friendly when trying to get around town.

I would suggest going and travling the sheki-san (bullett train IIRC) and go and see some of the mountain shrines.

I also suggest visiting at least one autobacs, be it super autobacs or just a plain old autobacs. If you take a video camera or camera period in there, be ready for every one to start pointing and giggling at the silly American.

Some words to remember:

-Baka (stupid)
-Baka chin chin (supid cock sucker)
-Hi hi (yes yes)
-Mosh moshi or moshi moshi (hello on the phone)
-Kompi! (cheers!)
-Chimpocomon (cock sucker master, no seriously it is)
-Ohio gozimas (Good morning or good night I don't remember)

Be very careful when going to the "cowboy bars". If ladies come and sit with you, THEY AREN'T FREE. They are for "eating company" and you can very easily walk out with a $1000 tab

Try and eat at a hibachi restraunt. Its a real trip. Don't worry about eating beef there, its safe.

If you can, find some kobe' beef and try it if its not tooo expensive.

Thats all I can think of now....

Thanks for the words. Chimpocomon!! lol JK. Do you think I will run into people that just feel the need to call an American that or?

Also, thanks for the ideas and stuff. I was thinking of getting out of the city a bit so, I hope that will be possible. Also, they can giggle all they want at my video camera haha, I want to remember my trip. Maybe I will just pawn my ticket home and just stay haha.

Another question I have is about how much cash could I get by with when I am there. Something that would be sufficient?

heavyfoot said:
You'd better get immunized against LHDs, you're going to see a lot of them out there. :rofl:

Anyway, you're not going in the jungle, man, you don't need any extra protection than the one you're using to go to your local mall...It's the safest place I've been to. Take some cash with you, it's not a problem to walk around with your pockets loaded, and it could be hard to find ATMs that accepts US cards (assuming they are working in english)...I believe there are only Citibank's ATMs for you to use. Japanese don't use credits cards much anyway, and life in Tokyo could be really expensive if you go out of your hotel room, so having cash handy is the best thing IMO.

If you are going to stay for a few days, make a trip on a saturday or sunday to Super Autobacs in Shinonome (Shinonome station, near the bay, next to the Route 357) with a camera...the parking only is worth the trip and the shop is fully loaded with parts, books, scale models and show-cars for sale.

There must be some others, but I'm the only foreign Supra guy downtown Tokyo I know of...
Toyota's main HQ are pretty far from Tokyo, but they have two big showrooms. The biggest and most interesting one is in Odaiba, south of the city on the bay (where you must go and have a look at anyway as it is a very particular place in Tokyo), not far from Super Autobacs.
(Tokyo Teleport station on the Rinkai line or Aomi station on the Yurikamome line)

Apart from that, just go around at night in crowded places like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Roppongi and get yourself wasted...Everything else you should do will be in your guidebook.

Thanks for all the information on Tokyo. How much is a rail pass for a week?
Also, do you think I might be able to meet up and you show me some hotspots for car meets and ect? I would love to see the scene in the area. If I can think of some more questions when I am not tired, I will just PM you if its ok...

Again, thank you both for all the information. I think it will just be a major shock when I get there, but I will love it.

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mdcmotorsports said:
I took $600 in just spending cash (room and travel paid for) and blew it in 5 days easy.

Travel paid = Food expenses too or?

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Actually, I have no idea...I've never used one. But, there is a Japan Rail Pass for foreigners on a tourist visa good for 2 weeks, but you should get it before arriving in Japan. You won't be able to get it here. It costs a bit, but if you do one round-trip by Shinkansen, you'd make profit on the pass compared to the normal fares. This pass is valid only on the JR network (which means 90% of the ground-level train network), NOT on the metropolitan subway.

Also, do you think I might be able to meet up and you show me some hotspots for car meets and ect?
Why not, but I can't promise anything right now...to be discussed by PM.

Another question I have is about how much cash could I get by with when I am there. Something that would be sufficient?
It depends on what kind of budget you're running with, but as a general information, (count about $1 for 100 yens):

Decent meal for an average-sized human being 700-1000 yens
Beer in a bar around 500 yens
Coffee in a coffee shop 300-500 yens
One station subway ride 120-130 yens
Bus ride 200 yens
Pack of cigarettes around 300 yens
1 hour in an internet cafe 400-500 yens
1 liter of premium gas 140 yens
2 km taxi ride 660 yens
magazine 800-1200 yens
Bus or train from the airport to downtown around 3000 yens
1 CD 1500 yens
1 DVD 4000 yens
A night in an average hotel downtown around 10 000 yens
Catback for MKIII around 60 000 yens
MKIV NA Auto 1994 wasted around 600 000 yens
MKIV TT 6-speed 2002 pristine around 3 300 000 yens

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
rpk2012 said:
Do not get a rail pass!!! It is a waste of money if you are not taking the bullet train. You can only use it on JR lines and there are many other lines out there that you need to use to get every where. Once again, DO NOT BUY IT!

Last time I went to Tokyo and spent about $120 on transportantion (this includes the bus from Narita to Ikebukuro and back). I spent a total of $7k between two people for the month, but that's with a lot of shopping and entertainment, so I'd say have $2k to be on the really safe side. (I spent $1k in one day just shopping in Harajuku and Shibuya).

If you are an american you don't need a Visa if you stay for less than 30 days (or was in 90... don't rememeber). You can get a rail pass with out having a visa. Your passport must be stamped as a temporary visiter though. Another down side to the Rail pass is that you can only use it if there is a guy that can verify the pass and the stamp on your passport at the gate.

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
supra_onna95 said:
Do not get a rail pass!!! It is a waste of money if you are not taking the bullet train. You can only use it on JR lines and there are many other lines out there that you need to use to get every where. Once again, DO NOT BUY IT!

Last time I went to Tokyo and spent about $120 on transportantion (this includes the bus from Narita to Ikebukuro and back). I spent a total of $7k between two people for the month, but that's with a lot of shopping and entertainment, so I'd say have $2k to be on the really safe side. (I spent $1k in one day just shopping in Harajuku and Shibuya).

If you are an american you don't need a Visa if you stay for less than 30 days (or was in 90... don't rememeber). You can get a rail pass with out having a visa. Your passport must be stamped as a temporary visiter though. Another down side to the Rail pass is that you can only use it if there is a guy that can verify the pass and the stamp on your passport at the gate.
THANK YOU!!!! heh. So correct me if I am wrong, but, I can visit for 8 days with only my US passport and I need no visa of any kind... Also, rail passes are not good to buy, just pay regular prices?

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
As she said, buy the rail only if you plan to use the Shinkansen (bullet-train). Otherwise, stick to the normal tickets.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
rpk2012 said:
THANK YOU!!!! heh. So correct me if I am wrong, but, I can visit for 8 days with only my US passport and I need no visa of any kind... Also, rail passes are not good to buy, just pay regular prices?

Exactly. No visa needed if you are just visiting for pleasure and will not be going to any type of school or not working. You'll fill out questions and they'll ask your plans for the trip at customs. They will ask for the hotel you are staying at. I actually had to give them my boyfriend's phone number because I listed his apartment address instead of a hotel.

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
supra_onna95 said:
Exactly. No visa needed if you are just visiting for pleasure and will not be going to any type of school or not working. You'll fill out questions and they'll ask your plans for the trip at customs. They will ask for the hotel you are staying at. I actually had to give them my boyfriend's phone number because I listed his apartment address instead of a hotel.
Thanks for all the info!! I sure hope I enjoy this trip, because I am in soooooooooooooooooooooo much need of a getaway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts