Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for no search I don't know where my other thread is. I have a problem where my headlights are on if the car is on, and the switch is reversed meaning if I turn the headlights on via switch, they turn off. I was told it's a box under the dash that looks like a pack of cigarettes, can I get a better description? I just took apart the "retractor control" box in the kick panel and it still looked brand new. Did I check the wrong box?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
K well I found the headlight relay in the engine bay fuse box and realized I already tried a different one and it had the same results so that is ruled out. But also I noticed a burn mark when I took apart the taillight failure box so I'll replace that. Is there anything else under the dash that could be the culprit?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
The lights turn off of the lights go down?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I turn the switch they all just turn off

If I go high rpm or put a load on the engine (A lot of throttle) they turn off and go down, then when the rpms drop back down or low throttle is resumed they pop back up and turn back on. This includes ALL the lights, front, rear, and interior cluster.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
If I turn the switch they all just turn off

If I go high rpm or put a load on the engine (A lot of throttle) they turn off and go down, then when the rpms drop back down or low throttle is resumed they pop back up and turn back on. This includes ALL the lights, front, rear, and interior cluster.
interesting.. make sure the chassis is grounded to the block good (couple spots)...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I had issues where my headlights wouldn't work unless I put a jumper where the relay was supposed to be, then I only had high beams...

it was that relay box under the dash (sorry for the shitty pix, just ran out there in the garage and took the car apart enough to take em for yah...)

It's that blue box, if it's not this, it might be your combination switches in your column (disconnect the entire thing and see if they stay off, then jump the pins to see if they work fine)

hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it does more than that, and has at least 2 relays in it (I've taken one apart before)...

when the combination switch is switched, it gives power to the lights, it also switches between high and low beam IIRC...

are you using an old used one or a new one? try grabbing a couple used ones and try them out, I think the one I have in there off a parts car is on it way out as well (lights will go out sometimes, just gotta flip to highs then back)

do you have your high beam indicator on? everytime mine screws up it comes on as well...

EDIT: had to look it up, it's integration control relay #2, yes it's the retract as well. It also controls your lights auto off function, which can cause issues...

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I already took that apart and opened it and it looked brand new on the inside. No burn marks or anything whatsoever, looked like new..

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
mine looked the same as well, but swapping it made it work...swapped the old one back in, doesn't work...

I dunno, maybe the relays just get old and stop working, dunno...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts