Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i used (someone from supraforums)... he said that it only took him 15 minutes after work and decided to clean his headlights with Meguiars scratch remover and sandpaper. I can't exactly remember who but i will list when i find it... anyways these are pictures of when i did it. It was 9:30 and i suddenly remembered my lights were fogged so i was like what the hell i'll go fix it so i drove to autozone and spend 20 minutes picking everything out (meguiars scratch X remover and sandpaper and a sanding block= 21 bucks.... but it beats buying new lights :) ) anyways so i got home and i started cleaning it and due to the massive amount of mosquitoes and darkness, i decided to just kind of roughly go over it see if it works or not and here are some pictures.

BEFORE

AFTER

anyways, tomorrow morning im going to wake up at 7 to give my car a detailed wash and i will run over the lights in greater detail tomrorow when its light out and doesnt have that many mosquitoes so until then i will update again and show more pics.

-David

·
Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,091 Posts
did you do this from the inside or just the outside, i remember seeing a thread about this but the guy took his headlights apart.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i had really dirty headlights and just used meguiars plastx and had the same results without using sandpaper.. all i used was a towel to buff.

·
Highway Demon
2,875 Posts
supra_onna95 said:
i had really dirty headlights and just used meguiars plastx and had the same results without using sandpaper.. all i used was a towel to buff.
you should really try to wetsand the headlights with some 2k grit sandpaper and then try using novus plastic polish.. that plastix stuff is good but does not last long enough and is not as fine as novus.. i've done a few headlights that way and they looked like night and day when i was done with them.. i have tried using just the plastix stuff before and initially they looked great but they get hazzy again not too long after.. but this was all done on a car thats parked outside 24/7 i have done the wet sanding and novus routine on a car that gets parked outside 24/7 as well and that has held up 3x longer so far and still continuing to look good as i type this.. you need the fine and heavy scratch remover for the novus though if you ever plan to go that route.. and those can be bought at any tap plastic store..

Brian

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Yes for lights that arent too bad you can just go over with some plastic polsih, but most you might wanan wetsand with 2k grit (final sand). I did mine recently again and they look almost brand new again. Some fukin cat walked all over my car this weekend and scratched the lights up so I gotta redo them. :mad:

Alex

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha sorry about ur lights alex... yea if i do the lights off im goign to need to figure out how first... i've never taken them out of the car before =/. if anybody knows how or has a write up on how to take apart the lights, it would be greatly appreciated! thanks a lot

-david

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
You dont need to take them out of the car just to do the outside. It's just as easy if not easier with them mounted still. Now if you mean to take them apart, its not too bad. There are 2 nuts on the fender side of the car IIRC. And another bolt near the radiator sort of. undo the harnesses which sometimes are a pain, and most of the time they pull right out.

Alex

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was afraid of getting the sandpaper too close to the paint so that is why I took them out. Also the Meguiars Cleaner says not to get it on the paint. It did suck to try to hold them and clean them at the same time though. I guess you could put some masking tape around the headlights to protect the paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts