Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey so my low beam stopped working on the driver side and i thought about getting some new headlights all together. any suggestions?

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
click to make them bigger.

no light

litlle blue light

low beams

got these off a ebay store.all you do when the bulb goes out is just buy a new bulb.just look around on ebay if you like them!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know i can get a new bulb, but i thought about getting some clear lights or something like that anyway. what brand are those?

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
well sorry but my cars in chicago right now and im in cleveland.im picking it up next weekend but im gussing youll need headlights by then

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not necessarily. just need some eventually. i drive around town a lot and have the fog lights so i have enough light, i guess its just a matter of when i get pulled over. haha

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Best lights are the Silverstar lamps.
They are sealed beam just like stock, and have a great pattern, but don't blind oncoming traffic. They are DOT approved, so you don't get any BS from the Po Po either.

I'm not a big fan of the H3 types unless you get the HELLA's and they are expensive. (And only worth it if your going to install HID's, which are nice, but not that much better than the Silverstar light. (I have HID in my Audi, and Silverstar bulbs in my Q45, and actually the light color is very close, and the Q has a better pattern, but then again, the lamps on the Q are better than the Audi to start with.)

I have the Silverstar lamps in my Supra, and love them. Besides, they are not expensive compared to HID's, or the HELLA's with HIDs or Silverstar bulbs.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
silverstars or do the h4 conversion. the ebay ones are plastic for the most part and dont provide the best spread of light. get a quality peice as at night your headlights are as important as your brakes. dont skimp!

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
H4 is just a bulb type, and is pretty much meaningless as far as quality of the housing goes.

Get a GOOD H4 setup. Also, H4 housings are NOT meant to be used with HIDs, not even Hella. Hella is one of the only ones I would ever even consider using with HIDs, but even then, I strongly recommend against it.

That being said, Hella makes pretty much the best H4 housing, and they are not that expensive, and will have a better beam pattern than most other housings. My second choice would be Bosch or a couple other European manufacturers.

My suggestion: Get some Hella housings and some good H4 bulbs. If you want Silverstars, get H4 housings and Silverstar bulbs. Sealed beam is for the weak. :p

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I've had these for a couple years now, but since my car has been down I never was able to test them. Anyone else have them?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh yea, can you just put the H4 bulb into the stock enclosure? or is that not a good idea...or will it not work. i don't really know anything about headlights

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
I would just go to Kragen, pick up a new set of Housings with Bulbs already inside them for the car, cheap, should work fine, and easy. Nothin special, but they get the job done.

Or listen to Jeff Lange......

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
H4 bulbs fit H4 housings. Stock enclosures are sealed beam and have no replacable bulb (hence the "sealed"). Hella makes 2 kinds of H4 housing, one of which is relatively decent (SupraOfDoom's) and legal to use in all of the USA, (DOT Approved), the other is the ECE or E-Code housing, which is not DOT Approved, even though it is a better design and has a much better beam pattern. The closest you can get to this that IS DOT approved are the Bosch replacement H4 housings, they are E-code, but recently started having "DOT" on the housing, as such they are legal in the USA. Hellas are slightly better, but the Bosch is pretty close.

I have Bosch housings in my Supra and Hella housings in my AE86. Both are very good. Here are some pics of the Bosch setup in my Supra. I don't have any of the AE86 yet, unfortunately.

Low-Beam:

High-Beam:

Housing:

If you want to run HID's, do it properly, and get a good projector or reflector setup in there, any sort of HID bulb in a Halogen enclosure is a bad idea, IMO.

Good read on the issue at hand:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that article was very helpful, thank you. now i just have to think of what i want to do and what would be the best route i guess

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not Sure if its to late, but if I may Im gonna suggest some Sylvania SilverStars. Come in sealed and bulbs. $20.00each at AutoZone, but go to Checker and tell them AutoZone has them for less, and you can get them for about $15.00each.

I got them on all my cars, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, F-150, and Cressida. I give them a 5 out of 5, they're bright, but dont blind the oncomming traffic, and have a nice color heat. Here's some pictures.
Dead On Look:

Low Beam/Low Beam Pattern:

High Beam/High Beam Pattern:

·
WhorE
504 Posts
Do Not put HID's in Halogen lamps. You need the actual reflector for hids or else you get scatter of the actual light which pisses on coming traffic off and is Illegal.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 27 Posts