Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whoa my first post. proud new owner of a 1990 turbo targa, of course it came equipped with the bhg! hell ya, puttin in the 2jz soon! i want to custom make some fixed headlights for my mkIII, my question is does anyone know an informative site with some tips? i can form the plexiglass i just want to know what kinda H.I.D. set-up will fit in the slight angle of the new headlight. any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,399 Posts
LEAVE THE RETRACTABLES, they're cool. And i hope you know what your getting into with tryin to put a 2jz in the A70. You'd be better off puttin that kinda money into fixing up your 7m-gte. The 2j swap can be a money pit. (Supras are money pits in general anyway.) If you wanna spend so much money on makin fixed headlights and a 2j then buy a MKIV. but if you want a MKIII then I say stay true and search the limits of the 7m. And if you want to engine swap, do the 1jz-gte swap, its direct swap bascally.

Oh and by the way, since your brand new you have to hear what all new members hear.......USE THE FRICKIN SEARCH BUTTON, and I mean that in the most positive way

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
Are you going to be doing the swap yourself?

Anways, You might run into trouble with plexiglass, it can ment or get discolored very easy. (or at least my tool set with the plexi glass window sitting next to the heater did)
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/lights/C-West_assembled_pod.jpg
If you are good at moulding thing you should try to make somthing like the C wesh FD kit, if you are good at moulding with fiberglass it could work
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/lights/C-West_catz_lights.jpg
Just get those lights and make the mold to fit them, my buddy has this exact kit and it look good at night (mabye the fact that its on a r magic kit helps ;) )

Mabye you could convince Duane our resident Carbon Fiber Guru to fashion up some flush mounts with out the lights??? Not too sure what the demand is, i kinda like the popups myself.

Ohh yeah and Lenny when are you going to give me your car :D

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
as far as i know....every attempt to make flush mount lights has been returned back to popups....because with the flush mounts you just dont get enough visibility at night..... the fog lights arent strong enough.....

so before you do all the work you might want to think about that....

and yeah iagree......scrap the 2jz idea...its just not worth the effort and money......and dont forget youd have to go single or bang the living hell outta your firewall to accommodate it.....

few things to think about....welcome!! :D

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
Pop up headlights means sports car. How many pop ups do you see on sedans, besides the old school Hondas and Acuras?

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
CSR Ma71 said:
Pop up headlights means sports car. How many pop ups do you see on sedans, besides the old school Hondas and Acuras?
even tho I think pop-up lights look ill, soooooo....what's your point? The McLaren F1 has flush mounted headlights.... I'd call that a sportscar ;)

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,399 Posts
I never really associated the retractables with sportscars but i think they go really go with our cars. And i'm not really a big fan of doing conversions unless its still the same car like 1jz's and SR20's and that kind of thing. If you spend the same money on your 7m as you would on the 2j, the 7m will probably be faster. And please don't do anything like that guy that had a MK"3.5" or whatever and had MKIV taillights and headlights, it looked like ass.

So just to sum everything up, FRICKIN KEEP IT THE WAY IT IS. I mean that in the most positive way of course.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Joe-Turbo said:
If you spend the same money on your 7m as you would on the 2j, the 7m will probably be faster.
I don't think that I would step out on that limb so quickly. There are a few guys on here that have a ton of cash in their 7m and they still fight it. The 7m is great, but realize the 2j is a more advanced creature.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,399 Posts
I'm not stupid. I'm sayin that the price of swapping the engine and all the other stuff would cost more than keeping a 7m in the car. Obviously a 2j is more advance everyone knows that. the 2jz-ge is just about as fast as our cars

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
It's his car if he wants a 2JZ let him jeez, with the 2jz your limited by the engine in HP, with the 2JZ you limited by the rear end.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey i respect everyones opinion and thanks for all your thoughts. Personally i look at the 300zx and rx-7 headlights and find them to be extremely attractive. i'm doin the mod, just wanted suggestions on housings. and about the 2jz swap, i have watched my uncle, a toyota mechanic, pull one off and the whole swap cost him 4K ya he got a good deal on the motor, but it is a simple swap. most guys that write up on it are just going on theory. i watched the swap be done very easily and the end result is simply amazing. 2jz is probably the best engine ever made, now the guy that my uncle made the swap for is planning on working with the guys at sound-performance, those guys are amazing, don't be surprised if you here of a guy with a supra in st.louis that blew himself to bits, cuz this mkIII owner is gonna have too much power when he comes back from the sound-performance shop! i feel comfortable about working with plexiglass, yet i hear people with thoughts of a lexan targa top. sounds really good, but bring it to life and it'll probably suck, clear targa would be simply amazing, if someone would volunteer their time and money to make this come true that would be great! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts