Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning i got in my car like every other day and when i put it in first and release the clutch i hear a kind of grind noise from the front of the car it does it 90% of the time. I have a rps clutch / flywheel and it is a 6 speed. Has anyone heard of this before??

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Just in first gear? From a dead stop only? What about 1st gear from a very slow roll? Does it still do it? Before suggesting it's in the tranny, clutch, or flywheel, I'd take a look at the engine mounts. Might be as simple as that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
your first gear syncro may be cashed. 90% of the time is pretty harsh for an engine mount issue. Try double clutching and see if it still grinds.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Well the way he states his problem, it doesn't sound like a synchro problem. He mentions getting the noise after the transmission is in gear and he releases the clutch. Doesn't sound like he's getting the noise while trying to shift into 1st. A symptom of a bad synchro would be grinding while shifting into a gear while the transmission is still spinning or winding down, plus the feel of some resistance.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Midnight Hour said:
Since you didn't describe where on the front of the car it was coming from, it could definetly be a wheel bearing and you just may not be able to hear it at 2nd gear speeds.

My guess would be a wheel bearing as well

G

·
Dont you here that same kind of noise when you dont hit the clutch and you try to shift gears? My guess is also a wheel bearing, check your engine mounts etc. Good luck :D

-Dino

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a wheel bearning make that kind of a noise? If you have ever heard what a power steering pump sounds like with no fluid in it... thats what it sounds like for a second then goes away. It only happened from a dead stop and no like 50% of the time. Also The chatter from the trans is loud. And it could also be decribed as a loud chatter but like a minute of chatter squeezed into a second? if you understand that? If the flywheel bolts were loose wouldn't i feel alot of vibraton? When it happens i can feel it in the clutch pedal and slightly in the steering wheel? Would all this just be the lighten flywheel? Its been in for about 3 or 4 thousand miles... the transmission is also new and installed at the same time as the clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also i can not exactly pin point where it is coming from. I try but every time i try to get it to make the sound it won't. And when i do not want it to, it does. You know how it works.

·
Registered
249 Posts
MDBlackTT said:
anything new?
If you are already checking for a wheel bearing carefully examine your brakes. I had a similar noise from the rear and it turns out one of the springs popped out off the emergency brake drum and the pad was scraping the inside of the hub. I could only hear the noise when I went from 0~8mph and vice versa.

Probably not the problem but if you are already checking the wheel bearing might as well examine the brakes. At least when you have the wheels off of the ground you can spin each wheel and eliminate if its a brake/wheel bearing problem.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found the problem. The nut feel completly off on the driveside motor mount. The stud on the bottom of the mount moves up and down causing it to rub and make the grinding sound. Thanks guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts