Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Stock Supra 7MGE, wife complains about heat inside the car during long hiway trips. Heat is there, my mechanic tells me that "old" cars didn't come with heat isolation along its central axis (from the console to the back of the car) so that's expected. Do you guys do something to fix it?
BTW, a good ole known issue, noise due to air filtering through window mirrors assembly at high speeds - I know that there are replacement parts solving this issue, but currently cannot get them in my country, do you have some alternative solution?

Best,
Marcelo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't say much for the heat as mine doesn't get warm as you describe, but it doesn't get exceedingly hot around these parts of the world either.

As far as the wind noise, you can gently squeeze the edge of the rubber triangle bits with some channel locks wrapped in a towel to not mar the rubber, just enough so they seal tightly around the window again. I did this on mine, which was also noisy as, and it improved drastically. It's a five minute fix. Bringing them 3mm closer is usually enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't say much for the heat as mine doesn't get warm as you describe, but it doesn't get exceedingly hot around these parts of the world either.

As far as the wind noise, you can gently squeeze the edge of the rubber triangle bits with some channel locks wrapped in a towel to not mar the rubber, just enough so they seal tightly around the window again. I did this on mine, which was also noisy as, and it improved drastically. It's a five minute fix. Bringing them 3mm closer is usually enough.
Thank you, will do it.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
159 Posts
No idea about the older Supras, but I added some thermo-tek mat to my center console. On my rx7 I added a layer on top of the center console, and underneath the car. On the Supra it was more to help with noise from twin disc. On my rx7 it was for heat. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think there's some missing information here.

1. What was the typical outside temperature during the trips when your wife complained of too much heat inside the car?
2. Were you driving with the windows down or up?
3. Does your car have working AC and was it on when your wife thought it was still too hot?

Just trying to understand the conditions, because maybe the car is not to blame. I drove my MK3 Supra through the hot desert last year on a road trip, usually with the windows up and AC on, which despite being kind of weak from a cooling standpoint, would eventually get a bit too cold when driving long enough with the air being recirculated. In the evenings, which was still very warm, I'd turn off the AC and roll down the windows. In either case, while driving hundreds of miles non-stop, I did not feel there was a problem in the cabin with heat generated from the car itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there's some missing information here.

1. What was the typical outside temperature during the trips when your wife complained of too much heat inside the car?
2. Were you driving with the windows down or up?
3. Does your car have working AC and was it on when your wife thought it was still too hot?

Just trying to understand the conditions, because maybe the car is not to blame. I drove my MK3 Supra through the hot desert last year on a road trip, usually with the windows up and AC on, which despite being kind of weak from a cooling standpoint, would eventually get a bit too cold when driving long enough with the air being recirculated. In the evenings, which was still very warm, I'd turn off the AC and roll down the windows. In either case, while driving hundreds of miles non-stop, I did not feel there was a problem in the cabin with heat generated from the car itself.
-The temperature was about 15C, winter here.
-Windows up at highway speed, about 130 kpm, sustained 3.000 rpm.
-AC works fine but not needed and off.

I notice the heat coming from the console in regular city traffic too, I think the addition of isolating material as Fastfalcon mentions is a great idea. During the summer the car's interior is very uncomfortable without the AC on

·
Registered
2 Posts
-The temperature was about 15C, winter here.
-Windows up at highway speed, about 130 kpm, sustained 3.000 rpm.
-AC works fine but not needed and off.

I notice the heat coming from the console in regular city traffic too, I think the addition of isolating material as Fastfalcon mentions is a great idea. During the summer the car's interior is very uncomfortable without the AC on
One possibility is that the valve controlling the opening and closing of the heater core is stuck open. On my Mk3, the vacuum actuator isn't working (I suspect the solenoid is stuck) and so my heater core is typically locked in the off position. However, I can unhook the valve, and manually open it. If I leave it opened like that, the footwell in the car does get quite hot, and while the AC helps, the heat is definitely still there, and feels like it's coming from the front center of the cabin.

Not sure how hot it gets where you are, but don't all cars get uncomfortable during the summer without the AC on?

·
Registered
90 Posts
He's in Argentina, where it's currently winter.

Good idea about the heater core valve though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One possibility is that the valve controlling the opening and closing of the heater core is stuck open.
This is a very good point. Mine was stuck closed so I had no heat at all (all solder joints on the AC controller connector were cracked), and then I found out the valve itself was buggered. If you feel heat from the center console there might be something wrong with the HVAC. Outside pressure is enough at speed to slightly leak the tiniest amount, and if the heater core is on permanently you'll feel that heat for sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Four Seasons valve being sold on Aliexpress for a Corolla and whatnot fits fine if you make a new actuator arm. It's what I replaced my split, cracked and stuck valve with.

They're not made of FRP, instead it's regular old plastic. How long will it last I have no idea, but it feels okay and it works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure how hot it gets where you are, but don't all cars get uncomfortable during the summer without the AC on?
Thanks, will check out the valve. I agree with you, all cars do, but in my Supra it feels worse. If you put your hands close to the console, you can feel its heat through the surrounding air too. Noteworthy, the HVAC works weel: if I set the temperature higher than let's say 24C the heater works fine, it does its job helping to a comfortable interior with low temperatures outside.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine feels the same as well. Not sure if it’s due to my 4” exhaust tucked or what. Have a new Toyota heater valve as well. It gets hot even tho it is summer but winter too.

·
90T
861 Posts
I tried the corolla four seasons and it lasted 2 years and was leaking at the bushing. Also, it requires grinding of the housing and the bracket to fit, and the control arm from the old one needs to be brought over. I recommend biting the bullet and getting the original one. You can buy it from Amayama still.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried the corolla four seasons and it lasted 2 years and was leaking at the bushing. Also, it requires grinding of the housing and the bracket to fit, and the control arm from the old one needs to be brought over. I recommend biting the bullet and getting the original one. You can buy it from Amayama still.

It leaks at the bushing if the arm doesn't sweep straight (the oring under the lid gets squeezed out of the way), which is why I made a new arm instead of using the one from the old valve.

·
90T
861 Posts
For me it was easier just to buy the correct part, but I get it that some people will make it work.

Also the transmission hump does get pretty warm on an extended drive plus the catalytic converter under the passenger seat doesn't help. I think it is just that the transmission case heats up and there is a lot of hot air that comes from under the hood and exits under the car.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There are a multitude of heat control and rejection materials that are used in cars both aftermarket and from the factory. The post that fastfalcon94 posted above is probably your best chance at cooling things down. Thermotec makes many of these products, but I've seen a lot of different things that seemed to work. I would not be at all surprised to learn that the car may not have its factory shield between the underside of the body and the catalytic converter still installed. It's those little parts that make a Supra such a nice car, that people sometimes remove for whatever reason.

There should also be a fair amount of sound deadening and likely a thin black mat that resembles carpet padding underneath the carpet, covering the transmission tunnel. Taking all that stuff out of the car saves you a generally small amount of weight, but the cost to the comfort factor just isn't worth it for the vast majority of people.

The suggestion of the heater hoses is also worth looking into. I recall on one trip to Phoenix in the middle of spring, I discovered that the hose exiting the heater core on the intake side of the engine wasn't pushed onto the heater core's metal nipple very well. Sooo... it was dripping very hot coolant onto the carpet right above my feet. The old school Blitz turbo timer that came in the car had a temperature display that could be toggled. Not sure where it got the information from, but if I recall, it told me that it was something like 55° C which, I don't need to tell you, is rather unpleasant!

Good luck figuring out the issue!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts