Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ok.

As the general discussion has been about heatshields and cold air intake pipes lately, I thought i'd share mine.

I made these out of fiberglass and are painted black. They look very sweet in the engine bay and do an excellent job. The pipe feeds a huge amount of air to the filter and the throttle response is much better, the car feels much stronger.

If u dudes want anymore information or more pics let me know :)

Ben

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Thats nice.. how did you make that? I do alot of things out of fiberglass.. that piece doenst look like itw ould be easy to rig up though.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,251 Posts
how exactly do you do that? the only thing im familiar with is fiber hair for touching up cracks.

can i just use a LOT of that and smoothe it out :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to make a "plug" first that is an exact replica of the piece you want to make, this can be made out of any material that will not react with the fiberglass. For the heatshield I used an aluminium one that I created first. One the inside of the aluminium piece I used plaster of paris to get the curves right. I sanded that back till it was smooth. I painted it (as best I could with pva - a mould release agent) then layed the fiberglass up.

Once the fiberglass piece had cured I then filled it, sanded it and painted it. Then again painted it with pva and layed up the glass to make a reverse mould.

Once that hed cured I could then make as many pieces as I wanted all of the reverse copy :)

As you can see it is not a simple process, but is very, very good when finished.

And the pipe, well thats a whole level of complexity in there but fundamentally done in the same way.

FYI: The pipe fits a stock bumper. It collects all of the air from the right hand vent on the bumper and directs all of the air up, and under the headlight into the shielded airfilter space. Very sweet :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I can make more of em. I dont think I would tho unless there were a bunch of ppl interested. I already work two jobs and would have to justify taking more time off to do it.

If ppl are interested I would charge somewhere in the vacinity of:

USD 160 for the shield and USD150 for the pipe.

Obviously if more ppl want it then I can buy the materials in bulk and pass the savings on to you guys.

This is buy no means a hard sell. If ppl want to attempt to do it themselves then I am more than happy to share my ideas/solution.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Is that pipe the intake pipe after the filter or the pipe that goes under the headlight and feeds the cold air box?
Oh, and how good does fiberglass shield the engine bay heat?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the pipe that goes on under the headlight.

Shields heat very well. It pretty much blocks out all hot engine bay air, and coupled with the cold air pipe it is constantly supplied with outside air which insures that it is cool in there.

Some more pics of setup:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah i'd be very surprised if water could get up there the pipe has an s bend and directs air upwards. Would take a lot of water to get the air filter wet.

Even if water does get up there the filter will stop any waer getting into the engine.

Wouldnt know about the stock plastic part, I bought the car with an aftermarket filter already on. but I can tell you this, i do not have to worry about the heat shield, it works a treat :)

Anyhow, just wanted u guys to see what i've done.

cya

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
So that pipe pretty much takes the whole air from the brake duct of our front bumpers and rams air to the intake...pretty nice, seems like it would be a real improvement...nice work

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,251 Posts
bobmarley said:
Yeah.. seems as though running to stock airbox would be just as effective to.
only if you can cram a cone filter in there :p.

Its all about surface area for intake(cone vs panel)...and the stock duct pieces dont do crap....believe me i tested the air flow on the front of my car with a leaf blower....however i opted to take out my ram air pipe and just run with a big hole next to the filter....seems to work better for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts