Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought some heat wrap for my headers. question is
i know that heat wrapping improves performance and keeps engine at ambient temps. but what i would like to know is wether its bad for the headers.. i hear that it deteriates the header tremendously. i have stock headers btw.

whats your input on this topic?

~Adrian

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
What rscott said is true, but if you are using the stock manifold (which is cast iron) then it really doesn't matter. You won't rust through it in 100 years. :p There is also a spray on coating for header wrap to help repel moisture.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
wrapped my xerd. made a noticeable difference. shoudlnt be a problem unless you wrap it too tight overlapping it too much.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
RabidChild said:
If your headers/downpipe are ceramic coated like the xerd, it's supposed to help alot with the rust prevention.
If its ceramic coated it should also help to keep the heat within the header. I would reccomend a ceramic coating over a "header wrap" but there is a difference in price. Also stock you should have a little heat shield that goes over the stock headers and should keep the heat from traveling up onto your intake. Is that not present on your car Oni mkiv?

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i have header shields but... when i open the hood i still feel some strong heat emitting from the header... just thought wrap would help... but lately have been reading about something called jet coating or something like that. supposed to be what nhra is using now instead of replacing warped/cracked headers every race.

im gonna look further into that

xdreeamer, how much can you get those 3" coated xerd headers for me?

~Adrian

email at

[email protected]

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Its the Jet Hott 2000 coating thats what I used on my headers here is a pic:

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Thats a Performance Factory NYC header aka "Vinny Ten." It was ~2k with the wastegate, downpipe, and wastegate dump pipe. I think I paid ~200 or so for the Jet Hot coating as well. And thanks for the compliment. I know TRDSupraSE also runs this header and his car actually moves so I guess we could have him chime in on how he likes it.

·
1,005 Posts
The PFNYC header is a great header, the turbo is positioned so that a 4" inlet can be used on the turbo (my old toyomoto log manifold didn't let me use the T61 w/ 4" inlet). Unlike Mr. Thomson, I went ahead and had mine coated with Swain Tech's heat coating in WHITE! I wouldn't recommend getting white since your header can get dirty from working on the car and such...also the heat generated from the engine starts to slightly discolor it. not much but I noticed a little discoloration by the head.

here are a few pics....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts