Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a box of dei 1"x100' heat wraping and wanted to know what actually is benificial to wrap on a single turbo car? i would guess start with my 4" bl downpipe and bl tubular header? maybe also the 4" intake tube and maybe some i/c pipes? i have a turbo blanket so that is covered. just want to know some ideas on what to wrap and what not to wrap up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did I hear correctly concering heat wrapping exhaust manifolds causing failure at the welds? Might have to check into that.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? curious. the bl header isnt the greatest but it has a coating on it already from bl but i wanted to wrap it to keep under hood temps a bit cooler. where did you hear wraping the header might be bad? then is the down pipe the only good piece to wrap up and the turbo exhaust housing?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
really? curious. the bl header isnt the greatest but it has a coating on it already from bl but i wanted to wrap it to keep under hood temps a bit cooler. where did you hear wraping the header might be bad? then is the down pipe the only good piece to wrap up and the turbo exhaust housing?
I don't think a good wrap will cause cracking. I think what's more likely to cause cracking is a half-assed wrap where there are exposed areas (un-wrapped) which will cool at a much faster rate than the wrapped areas. It's generally not the temperature that causes cracks -- it's the temperature differential in uneven cooling.

·
11,217 Posts
It won't cause any cracking, but it may cause rust. It's still no biggie though.

All that you've mentioned is good to wrap, but I don't think 1"x100' will cover all of it.

Wrapping the dp on my car definitely cooled down the engine bay. I can actually touch it right after driving it hard without being burnt to death.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
my roomie's 1j has header wrapping around any of the pipes the turbo comes into contact with and after a really hard highway pull, we can pull over and rest a hand on them w/ no problems....hasn't compromised the integrity of his pipes yet. Just wrapping them will drop your under hood temps. I will be doing this as well. Good luck.

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Just a question, but where did you bet your wrap? My downpipe is kind of on at a funny angle and is lightly touching the crossmember, I wanted to wrap it up a little right around there so it wouldn't rattle, but I'm not sure where I can buy some heat wrap...

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
michaelvanle gave me a good tip when I was wrapping my BL 4" dp. Soak the wrap in water and then you can wrap the pipe nice and tight.

I used DEI 2" x 100 and have a bunch left over.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
pnutcar said:
my roomie's 1j has header wrapping around any of the pipes the turbo comes into contact with and after a really hard highway pull, we can pull over and rest a hand on them w/ no problems....hasn't compromised the integrity of his pipes yet. Just wrapping them will drop your under hood temps. I will be doing this as well. Good luck.

Same here on my setup.

·
11,217 Posts
puma said:
would doing a ceramic coating under the wrapping be a good idea?
Yes. I ceramic coated it black, then I wrapped it. Lastly I sprayed on DEI's silicone spray or whatever they have it. DEI said it's supposed to help the wraps from soaking up water. I guess it worked for a while until it wore out.

But I did the 3 step process: ceramic coating, wrap, silicone spray.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I wrapped my header and downpipe and barely had enough to finish w/ a roll of 2X50. I added a turbo blanket at the same time. My engine bay is MUCH cooler than all of my na cars have ever been. Its also MUCH cooler than when i had the stock twins

·
Registered
934 Posts
rust wont be an issue unless u park the car outside and u let the water sit there. if u drive it and boil it off, no issue :)

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
I've been contimplating (sp) the same thing on my car!

So what you guys are saying is the coating is junk compared to the wrap?

My engine bay/firewall/footwell/trans tunnel gets so hot from having the single turbo/4" MP/DP. I guess the solution would be the dei wrap!!!!

vnt

·
Banned
341 Posts
Since the heat wrap is preventing the heat from escaping the runners (in the case of wrapping a manifold) wouldn’t that help spool time also?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
vntperformance said:
I've been contimplating (sp) the same thing on my car!

So what you guys are saying is the coating is junk compared to the wrap?

My engine bay/firewall/footwell/trans tunnel gets so hot from having the single turbo/4" MP/DP. I guess the solution would be the dei wrap!!!!

vnt

The heatwrap will help that problem but its very weird that the footwell gets that hot. Can you actually feel it heating up the cabin? I have the 4"MP/DP tucked up very close to the body and don't have that problem. I will be doing the heat wrap on mine as well whenever i pull it all apart.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
only 1 thing stops me from wraping eveything... that all my shit is brand new and shiny. bling bling for now. the heat wrap is a pain biege color and dosent have much appeal to it cosmeticly. but then again when have i cred more about the bling over the function?never. so im wraping the 4" dp/mp -header- 4" intake tube-and the charge pipes[i/c] that are anywhere near any type of heat.i have the ceramic coating already but im still gonna wrap it all up. it just wont look pretty but itll keep the temps down a bunch and itll be neatly done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts