Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm building my 87 supra 7mge into a drift car daily driver and I need help figuring how to delet the heater core for weight reduction. Yes I know ima regret it later but that's not what I'm trying to hear I just need help and advice I'm a first time owner for 3 months now any thing will help

·
Registered
528 Posts
oh ffs whats a heater core weigh, 3lbs

its the airbox / dash etc you are prob talking about. you can sell that stuff for a good amount if its functional and in good condition.

not a whole lot of weight there to get out, but its something for weak sauce non-turbo cars I suppose

how bout add some weight via a turbo, even a used ct is like an instant +100lbs torque

safety wise (know you don't want to hear it since dd a 30 year old drift car is where your at) you could run an electric heater to defrost the windshield....like when that situation comes up at 80mph in the rain on the interstate. you know so you don't kill us when you fog up and can't see

·
Registered
652 Posts
drift car daily driver
Sounds like a great idea, like mixing alcohol and fireworks.

yes I know ima regret it later but that's not what I'm trying to hear
This statement completely contradicts.......
I just need help and advice
......this statement.

I'm a first time owner for 3 months now any thing will help
If you don't know how to delete a heater core I am going to assume you don't have a mechanical background. If you actually intend to drift this thing you will crash it and break things, that's just a given for that kind of activity. You'd be better served taking the time to go over the car top to bottom, front to back, making sure everything is in good working order and learning as you go. Diving in without a strong understanding of mechanical aspects is a recipe for disaster, one that I and many others here have watched time and time again.

And as Madison mentioned, there's not a lot of weight to be saved in the HVAC system. There's about a dozen other places you'd be better off starting with than the heater core is weight savings is your concern. Stock seats are heavy, sound deadening, stereo, carpet, interior panels, etc.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
why drift the fat pig of the MKIII Supra... and an NA no less... that is even more contradictory.

·
Registered
528 Posts
if your a real person / account my advise is to step back

"heater core removal" on the pretense of making the car faster, is tunnel vision. to put it another way, if a hammer is your only tool every problem starts looking like a nail.

step back, look at the entire car, realize what you are working on. like Captain said, go over the entire car, all its systems (brakes, suspension, electrical, exhaust etc etc) and get it right to enjoy it

an na is limited in how you enjoy it imho. its weak sauce -- mini vans, suv's, anything with a v6 has a chance at beating the underpowered piggy supra na. but you can enjoy its looks and the ride still. put some donut spares on and maybe you can drift ?

step back, learn, plan, buy and build. these cars are bad ass and that ge block can hold some power when you turbo it

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,560 Posts
Spend your time on keeping oil in that GE and work on suspension.... The suspension WILL be beat to death as is, sliding a 3500lb car opposing all of the suspensions working angles just exaggerates the wear 10x.

If you must, you can either loop your lines and remove it all. You can run an electric unit BUT theyll pull 80A on high and you do not have the electrical capacity to run that effectively.

Theres about a million and one things you should focus on before you go ripping out you HVAC systemin a daily driver youll track once every 2 months.

I have a full blown track car that has all my HVAC removed, I know how it goes and I seriously think you have vastly more important things to address first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why drift the fat pig of the MKIII Supra... and an NA no less... that is even more contradictory.
Well if you're looking at it from that point of veiw but it's more of back home in cali you dont see alot PD the mk3 running around d so why not build the best drift machine I can and show it off to be unique

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Well if you're looking at it from that point of veiw but it's more of back home in cali you dont see alot PD the mk3 running around d so why not build the best drift machine I can and show it off to be unique

Well you can turbo the 7mge so that should be in your budget.

The 7M in NA form just does not have much power. Remember, it is 80's technology.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
figgie
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing