Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Supra. It is stock - no turbo. I need a heater core. My mechanic told me the standard heater core listed for this car does not fit. He did not take off the dash. Any thoughts, please? This is my every day car, so I’m going to need heat! Thank you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe the heater core is discontinued. Have you check the various toyota websites yet? How does he know it doesnt fit if he didnt remove the dash to access it?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
thats an evaporator. heater core is disc.
also interested to know how he knows it doesnt fit without checking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just replaced mine three weeks ago. The OEM core is discontinued as mentioned above. There are a few options for replacements. Based on the extensive research I did I found that the rockauto cheaper cores generally don't fit properly and the two following options are at very different price points:
Heater Matrix Toyota Supra Mk4 1993-98 Demisterman This is the cheapest option and the one I went with. Others have previously stated that it didn't heat as well as OEM. I drove my car last week in 5 degrees Celsius weather and it produced more than enough heat make me turn it off and I have had no issues with it (only been a few weeks).
Toyota 1993-1998 Supra Heater Core Much more expensive and currently sold out.
I took my OEM core to a radiator shop to have it flushed and he stated the valleys in the core were too small to do properly and likely wouldn't work. I am sure you could have a place recore it but not sure what that would cost.

The dash 100% has to come out to be replaced and the AC will have to be drained as well. If you have any further questions feel free to reach out.

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
390 Posts
Andy, I have done this job of replacing my heater core. I got a second hand one. I removed the whole dash as everyone told me I had to. Here is the important thing, I later found the procedure in the manual that allows you to change it without removing the dash. I don't have my book in front of me but I recommend you check it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
^ unless LHD has a different HVAC unit than RHD, it is literally impossible to remove the heater core without removing the HVAC whole unit which you cannot do with the dash in the car

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,304 Posts
^ unless LHD has a different HVAC unit than RHD, it is literally impossible to remove the heater core without removing the HVAC whole unit which you cannot do with the dash in the car

Do you know if that first link you provided works for LHD cars as well as RHD? Being what appears to be a British company it looks like it may be for RHD cars. Or are the heater cores the same? I don't need to replace mine currently but as these cars get older I am anticipating it in the next few years.

·
390 Posts
The heater boxes are not the same between LHD and RHD. They are 180 deg opposite.

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,304 Posts
The heater boxes are not the same between LHD and RHD. They are 180 deg opposite.
The boxes are not the same but is the heater core itself? I am guessing no but just want to be clear.

·
390 Posts
I just spend ten minutes comparing and I believe they are not the same. They are mirror images. They are both set in at an angle which is opposite for LHD and RHD.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There was a guy on the U.K. forum who had investigated having these made for the RHD, might be worth chasing him up to see if he would do the same for the LHD.

For the older members here it is Chris Wilson, the guy who makes the fabled F1 SMIC for the Supra. If the quality of that is anything to go by his replacement would be so much better than the OEM.

Would probably have to be a group buy too.

·
Registered
393 Posts
^^ Any MKIV part that Chris Wilson makes or stands behind is going to be top notch. I don't know this "F1" intercooler by name but I do know of the dimensionally accurate all aluminum OEM style SMIC replacement that Garage Whifbitz sells in the UK for MKIV's... which, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, should be a Chris Wilson design. It's supposed to flow a bit more than the original IC core as well.

As for MKIV heater cores, I know that The Brass Works in the U.S. makes them in LHD but they only copied that design, not the mirror image for RHD MKIVs. Although if anyone were to send them a worn out MKIV RHD heater core they could copy and remake it as well. The added shipping and wait time for may or may not make it worth it for RHD owners outside the U.S.

As far as I am aware they can and will copy or re-core any brass heater core design (or vintage radiator) that is presented to them.

This is the place I will go to when I need a stock SC heater core remade as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Whibitz SMIC can’t hold a torch to CW’s. Chalk and cheese unfortunately and their prices reflect this.

Whifbitz is a China made intercooler with dodgy welds and fitment issues, the other is a bespoke piece made in Germany by a company who make parts for F1.

CW’s SMIC has happily supported 600hp singles without an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts