Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the best way is to get to the coolant hose on the back of the block/head that everyone says is a huge PITA? I think I've blown mine and need to know the easiest way to inpect/replace it.

Thanks,

Matt

·
JZA80 > JZA70
1,810 Posts
get a long ass neeedle nose plyers

P

·
0 Posts
the mac truck carries a long plier specially for this job, it looks like a very long needle nose and at the end it is curved to grip the diameter of the hose.

-Randy

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
I made a tool just for that hose. I got an old crappy screwdriver, a socket, all held together by epoxy. I only made it because I had the extra stuff laying around, but it makes very easy to replace/tighten that clamp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
your help

First get the new hose and make sure its right! Then, get a floor jack and jack your tranny up a little from under the car. You'll notice each time you jack up the engine moves away from the firewall, but dont get carried away with it. Then get you a razor blade, just the blade, and start cutting length ways on the hose starting at the back of the head if your hands are out of the way. Then, split the hose, peel it back from the water snout and finish taking it off. Now get you a piece of sandpaper, emory cloth or something else lightly abrasive and clean up the snout. Then, put just a small amount of petroleum jelly on the inside of the hose, just enough to make it glide on, and push it onto the snout. The rest is just tightening the clamps. When you are tightening or loosening the clamps remember to get the smallest tools you can, the clamps are not that tight. I found that use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a wobbler-type extension and a 8mm socket works best, but thats just my opinion. Good luck, be careful and dont over tighten the clamps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts