Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause the heater to stop working? It's about 50 degrees outside and I have my temp control set to 85 and it never turns on. If I turn it on manually, it blows only mildly warm air. (It used to blow nice hot air.)
The auto works, because if I have it set at 70 for example, and it's 75 out, it'll blow cool air to cool it down and then turn off. But it just won't blow hot air.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this?

PS: I have tried changing the temperature control unit, but it doesn't remedy the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, we go through this like every day!

1) Bypass the vacuum switch solenoid, so the hose goes directly into the cannister.

2) Enjoy the heat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
assuming the AC compressor still spins, you might want to see if it will blow cold.. I know it's cold outside.. but see if the air blows cold, or if it just blows mildly cold.. if only mildly cold then you may need to recharge the "freeon" and that may work to cure it..

· Banned
4,762 Posts
Shawndude said:
Wow, we go through this like every day!

1) Bypass the vacuum switch solenoid, so the hose goes directly into the cannister.

2) Enjoy the heat.
where is the vacuum switch solenoid located?

vnt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The VSV (vacuum switching valve) is the little plastic blue/black barrel, with an electrical connector, and two vacuum hoses leading into.

It's right under the metal canister, that actuates the water valve for your heater.

These VSV's crap out constantly, I guess due to the heat of the exhaust and coolant.

Anyways.....just disconnect the vacuum hose that leads into the VSV from the firewall and connect it directly to the metal canister.

All you're doing is bypassing the VSV, which is broken.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. Went to switch the lines and then took a second look at the vaccum line coming from the firewall. Had a nice hole in it. Replaced the vaccum line and the heater worked great. :) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

· Registered
7,850 Posts
Heater??

you mean you guys drive the supra in the cold WHITE fluffy stuff :confused:

that deserves a

:nutkick:

· Dr. Jeff Lange
8,964 Posts
I never drive it in the winter, but sometimes there are some cooler nights. Anyways, you can get it out of a Cressida from the Junk Yard, it will work fine.

(The connector may be different, you'll have to solder it up, but I got 2 of them for $3, and Toyota wanted over $200 for it)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't drive it in the snow, but it gets down to around 40 degrees here at night. And during the winter, it can get down to around 20. Usually doesn't snow though, just cold and windy.

Kinda odd living in a place where you take the targa off during the day and turn the heater on at night. :)

· ...heading for 500+ RWHP
435 Posts
I had a similar problem in that no hot air came out my vents even with the temp set to 85. I just bypassed the solenoid as suggested and turned the heat up. WOW! I have heat!!! No more freezing my butt off in the mornings! Thanks a lot Shawndude!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.