Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
.928 RWHP & Climing!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Here's my problem. I took my Cressida in for a Candy Apple paint. The car was working fine. Perfect. Now, the car idles rough and shuts off. When I unplug the AFM then it runs almost as normal, but a little rough and too rich because you can smell the gas coming out of the exhaust, but it runs. It does not shut off. When I plug it in, then shuts off again. I replaced the AFM thinking that was the problem. Also changed the ignition coil, just in case. I checked all Vacumn lines, all the plugs. Everything looks in order. I changed the spark plugs. I changed that little regulator, I think for fuel that sits next to the coil, just in case. The car is still doing the same thing. Check out the video below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Miguel.

Click here for Video

·
Registered
375 Posts
nice music, lol, well when you unplug the afm is going to run rich and funky because it doesnt have any idea H/m air is going in, if when it was painted they got some air on the intake their must be some air on the afm and it might think that their is not enough air comming inside the intake... hmm interesting

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you have egr still, check the valve. If the valve is stuck open, you can have symptoms like you have.

·
.928 RWHP & Climing!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't checked this, but the car only has 33K miles, not sure if this would go at this milage, but I'll check it and get back to you.

supraguru05 - All ready have.

aljordan - No codes stored in the ECU except when the engine idles really low. My buddy is gonna bring his snap-on diag system to check it out.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you informed.

evolvedrs said:
If you have egr still, check the valve. If the valve is stuck open, you can have symptoms like you have.

·
.928 RWHP & Climing!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, I did a code check right after I started the car, which did give me two codes, first 24, then 31.

24 - Intake air Temp Sensor Signal -

Diagnosis
Open or short circuit in intake air temp sensor signal (THA).

Trouble Area
Intake air temp sensor circuit
Intake air temp sensor
ECU

31 - Air Flow Meter Signal

Diagnosis
(7M-GE) Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed.
(7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.

Trouble Area
Air flow meter circuit
Air flow meter
ECU

I already changed the AFM, could it be that ALL three diff AFM are bad??

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Did you recet your ecu and then try again? the AFM code could be thrown because you unplugged the afm and ran the car.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Not compatible.

You should source a good AFM and try it out. Find a local car to borrow one from.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have heard that on occasions, there are those who experience problems from their cars getting painted. I think it had to do with the paint being baked on the car. I don't know how good that is for the ECU. Some people don't have problems, but there are the few...

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Not compatible.

You should source a good AFM and try it out. Find a local car to borrow one from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts