Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys... ok here's the deal.

This is probably a stupid question but i can't figure out what the problem is.

When i'm in 2nd or 3rd and i go wide open throttle.. most of the time it catches but once in a while the rpm's will just shoot up like 3 or 4 thousands without the car moving anywhere... kinda like the tires are slipping but it doesn't feel like the tires are slipping at all ! After i do that i release the gas and go back to it fine.

Any ideas? Are my turbos going bad? There's no blue smoke coming out of the exhaust at start up and i checked the bov for oil with nothing showing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,569 Posts
How's your clutch?
 

·
IUCK FSLAM
Joined
·
277 Posts
Are they shooting up almost like when you rev in neutral?

If you stop nearly all acceleration during the time the rpm shoot up I'd say it's the clutch.

I don't know why a problem with the turbo's would cause that to happen. You wouldn't be making nearly as much power though and wouldn't accelerate as hard.

Did you see the vid of the firebird burning up his clutch? Next time tha happens just get on it and look for smoke from under the car. :p Just kidding of course..
 

·
Newbie
Joined
·
11,219 Posts
Yea if the revs just fly up like you are in neutral, clutch is slipping. Happened to me a few times. I just turn down a boost cause I can't afford a new clutch, lol.
 

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
I drove my first Supra once with a slipping clutch in everygear all the time anything over half throttle :D , I loved the fact you could make exhaust and blowoff valve sounds anywhere on demand for fun without the car goin anywhere. This was back in 1998 when I did not appreciate the fact that I had a Supra :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
white MKIV,
hey..if you need help doing a clutch job. let me know..i've done a few and i'm right here in Sanford, not far from you.

let me know..maybe we can get together or something.
how many miles you have on your car??

trinh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TeoNeo said:
white MKIV,
hey..if you need help doing a clutch job. let me know..i've done a few and i'm right here in Sanford, not far from you.

let me know..maybe we can get together or something.
how many miles you have on your car??

trinh
awesome man!... i'm in altamonte springs which is like 10 min. from sanford.

The car has about 89k on it now. I'll definatly take you up on that when i get the money to do it though :cool: Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Hey,
yeah..i just moved down here a few months ago. i use to live up north in Michigan...way too cold man.

I work at Dairy Queen right in the food court at Seminole Towne Center Mall in Sanford. i work there every single day..open to close. :) drop by and get a Blizzard or something.

at any rate..i'm in the works right now to purchase Vincent's 97 trd widebody supra up in Jacksonville. should be fun.

trinh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TeoNeo said:
Hey,
yeah..i just moved down here a few months ago. i use to live up north in Michigan...way too cold man.

I work at Dairy Queen right in the food court at Seminole Towne Center Mall in Sanford. i work there every single day..open to close. :) drop by and get a Blizzard or something.

at any rate..i'm in the works right now to purchase Vincent's 97 trd widebody supra up in Jacksonville. should be fun.

trinh
awesome. You're gonna love the weather down here! especially leaving michigan lol.
 

·
Driver Down
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
White MKIV said:
awesome. You're gonna love the weather down here! especially leaving michigan lol.
He's gonna help you with your clutch job, then ask to test drive the car to make sure its working. Then, while he's driving your Sup down the road, hes gonna kick your ass out, and haul ass to Michigan. ;)

Replace Clutch, get Supra. :) Criminal mathmatics :D
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top