Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know if helicoil makes a kit big enough for our oil pan? Mine just stripped, I went to advance to see if they made oversized bolts but they don't.
Thanks,
Stro

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know someone knows the size of the oil drain plug thread and if helicoil makes it. Ive looked in the tsrm for my year, and tried to google it but didnt find much. :dunno: Anyone??

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
the oil drain plug's thread is M18X1.5. It'll probably easier if you retap the hole to a standard size such as 3/4"X16 thread and then use any of the plethora of bolts / oil plugs etc. available in that size. Or thread to the next larger metric size, M20X1.5.

HTH

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
are you doing this on the car? careful you don't get little bits of metal sitting in the pan. If it got sucked up the sump it could be bad. Proper way to do it is to remove the pan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ive been to napa, advance auto, toyota, and carquest and the biggest size they have is M18X1.5. The guy at carquest is the only one who was able to find a bigger bolt to order for me. He's got the 3/4X16 size drain plug with self threading ends. Streetz, I am going to do it on the car, I am going to be very careful to get any metal out, which shouldnt be much doing this way hopefully. , if I was going to remove the oil pan I probably would just get a new one to put back on, but I don't have that much time right now to be lifting the engine so hopefully this works.
thanks stro

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
you might want to change your oil and filter after its been run for a bit when your done. maybe a couple times. Im pretty paranoid about that kinda shit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I know what you me about being paranoid, I am going to be as careful as possible. I have like 4 little oil leaks including this one, so it's turned into one big mess. Im finally going to have time to fix them this weekend so Im really paranoid. I have to put the new o rings on the turbo lines and for some reason I just feel like the banjo bolt in the block is going to strip.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Most parts stores will sell you an expanding rubber drain plug that will work in stripped threads. That'll save you the risk of metal bits and will most likely save you some time and headache.

*edit* There are apparently two common styles of the expanding drain plug. One that expands when you turn the bolt until it fits snugly with the remnants of the threads and one that has an insert similar to a screw for mounting into drywall. They cost about 6 and 11 dollars respectively. Have fun!

·
ODS
847 Posts
Zach90Turbo said:
Most parts stores will sell you an expanding rubber drain plug that will work in stripped threads. That'll save you the risk of metal bits and will most likely save you some time and headache.

*edit* There are apparently two common styles of the expanding drain plug. One that expands when you turn the bolt until it fits snugly with the remnants of the threads and one that has an insert similar to a screw for mounting into drywall. They cost about 6 and 11 dollars respectively. Have fun!
I would say do this till you can get the time/funds to replace the pan (just get a used one from a yard)... I have seen one vehicle with a helicoil in the oil pan and the helicoil, over time, broke apart/came out which just makes more work in the future... Plus the risk of metal shavings in the pan is NEVER good... The rubber drain plugs work well, just dont rely on it forever...

SMo'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I looked at the rubber drain plugs and don't really wont to go that way. I bought the oversized drain plug with the self threading ends. If it ever stops raining I will put it in today. Im probably going to be pulling the motor this summer to do some bodywork and put in a new wiring harness, so I will replace the oil pan when that happens. Thanks for the ideas, I will let yall know how it goes.

·
ODS
847 Posts
You would rather risk putting metal shavings into the oil pan, destroy the oil pan even more, and risk doing serious damage to your motor than using a proven product that uses rubber to fill in gaps to prevent oil from leaking... Good luck...

I found this on a volvo site...
Stripped Plug Threads. While you can find repair kits for stripped plug threads, you are best advised to replace the oil pan. [Dick Riess] To retap the threads, try a 3/4 inch tap with 19 pitch threads. [Jeff Pierce] For a short-term fix, wrap a band of aluminum foil around the bolt (in the opposite direction as the threads, but not extending up beyond the end of the threads) and tighten the bolt to "good and snug" (that's a technical value that's achieved by tightening until just before you think the threads are gonna give way). Then when you're ready to fix it right, get an oversized bolt -- not a self tapping one --and a tap and retap the threads. Self tapping bolts are essentially screws. They're made to "self tap" once -- not a good idea for this application. After you've changed your oil a few times, the "threads" will be gone, and then you'll just have new stripped threads in a bigger hole.
And I would reccomend you read this from "cartalk.com"
Stripped Drain Plug Story - Advice

SMo'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Smo, thanks for all the info. It seems like those rubber drain plugs are good. Anyways I had today off so I put my car on jack stands to get this over with. I had the self threading oversized plug, but still wasnt sure if I was going to use it or not after reading the info on the rubber plugs. Well I took the old plug out and let the oil drain, and when I looked at the plug it looked like it was actually stripped. So I went to advance and got the stock size and it tightened up pretty good. Only problem is it was still leaking! Those gaskets that come with the bolts from there suck. I have another supra that I am rebuilding the engine on so I just grabbed the oil plug off of it with the old gasket and it worked. Im pretty sure it stopped leaking but I called it quits cause it was bout to rain. I should know for sure tomorrow.
Thanks for the help everyone.

·
ODS
847 Posts
Yea' the rubber ones work very well, a friend of mine used one for several months till he could afford a moroso... I am glad to hear you didnt go with the self tapping one, there is nothing good about digging into metal that is already lacking metal...

SMo'

·
Registered
972 Posts
I see no problem with drilling and tapping with the pan on the motor..

Just once its done I would put an oil pan under the car and buy a couple quarts of cheap oil (5w-30) and use them to flush any shavings out of the pan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts