Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 1 owner turbo target top 5spd pretty excited to start the journey. Looking for recommendations on what sites to buy parts from

·
...pop the hood!
878 Posts
congrats and welcome

id love to get another mklll once i finish my mkiv...

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
399 Posts
Welcome. Very nice! Looks like it was kept well.

I would change out all the fluids as you get time. For mine I went with recommendations I found here in the group:

7M-GTE > Mobil 15w-50 Synthetic
R154 Transmission > Redline MT-90 gear oil
Differential > Ford Motorcraft 75w-90 gear oil with LSD additive (yes Ford)

I also put a Mishimoto aluminum radiator in mine recently with Red Line water wetter, Toyota Red coolant, and regular water.

For other things just kind of make a list of what works and doesn't. Your options for spare parts will be junk yards, ebay, and people here as most of the parts are out of production now unless its a very common thing like ball joints etc.

I recommend doing a water leaking test of the back end area. The cars as they age lose the tail light seals and the bottom hatch window seals which allows water to penetrate and fill up the spare tire well, causing rust etc. Solution is to change out the seals.

That will get you started. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the awesome info I did notice when I open the rear hatch there was a small amount of water in the plastic panel that leaked down

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep. That plastic piece fills up with water and when you open the hatch it drips out.

The worst though is the tail light gaskets. Because of the shape of the body, the lower edge of the tail light sits farther back than the top edge. The problem is that water comes straight down the hatch opening channel, is able to get past the top of the tail light seal, and it pours straight down into the rear cargo area. My car got so bad the side fender areas would also fill up with water.

For those you have to take the lenses out but that is just more time consuming than hard. The gaskets will resemble charcoal when you pull them out and will crumble.

Once its cleaned up and sealed you're good for another 30 years lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm now I'm going to have to take a look , where do you guys shop for aftermarket parts

·
Registered
399 Posts
The tail light gaskets are still available from Toyota for $20 a set. (or each, can't remember) . I saw a guy on here do his with door seal material from Home Depot. Buy a tube of this as well. It comes in handy for many things:

Aftermarket and Toyota OEM parts my first place is Driftmotion. One reason is that I live local to them and can pick up stuff same day.

I have managed to get some Toyota parts from Lakeland Toyota in FL Authentic TOYOTA SUPRA Parts | Toyota Parts Overstock

I also like Aristocrat Autosport . They are literally down the street from me and I ordered my Red Line MT-90 and my Radiator / Thermostat from them.

For used parts, I use the android app these guys have to alert me to when a Supra hits a parts yard near me. I live in SoCal so I'm fortunate that there are about a dozen yards within driving distance.

Ebay will also have hard to find items, albeit expensive, and sometimes people here on the forum do as well.

Your local autoparts store or Rock Auto.com may be the best choice for common stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Take a look under the spare tire to see if you have any water accumulation. I have left that little rubber grommet under the tire slightly open to allow any water that might get in there to drain out. There is a lamp failure module (yellow box) on the inside cargo area to the left of the license plate. Put a baggie over it and bolt it back on to keep water from shorting it out and giving trouble. Change the brake fluid /clutch fluid if it looks dark or has not been changed in a couple years. It's always a good idea to check your brake pads for time remaining and evenness of wear.
Fluids I recommend are:

Castrol 10W-40 dino oil. 5 quart jug. Fill volume is 4 1/2 quarts. Walmart
R154 Transmission: Redline MT-90 gear oil. Fill volume is 3.2 quarts so you're going to have to get 4. Check online.
Differential: Castrol axel limited slip gear oil 80W-90 API GL-3. It already has the friction modifier in and its relatively inexpensive. Fill volume is like 1.3 quarts. O'Reilly's
Brake fluid: Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 & 4. AutoZone.

One of the unexpected things that could haunt you is rusted camber adjusting bolts front and rear when you try to get an alignment done. I have replaced 2 in the front and 2 in the rear by cutting them out with a thin blade angle grinder. It was quite an ordeal. When replacement bushings were available, I replaced one in the rear but recently I had to find a complete No.1 control arm with the bushing and cam bolt to swap it out because Toyota bushings are no longer available. I replaced all the bushings in front with Energy suspension bushings but they transmit more road noise than stock ones. Specific parts have all but dried up at the dealership. Hoarding and trolling eBay for parts has become the norm. Be aware that your wheels are left and right specific to catch the wind for brake cooling purposes. The rims are marked. Directional tires have to be mounted for the left and right as well. You can only rotate front to back with the basket weave design. Good luck and keep a ledger of your repairs for future reference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tail light gaskets are still available from Toyota for $20 a set. (or each, can't remember) . I saw a guy on here do his with door seal material from Home Depot. Buy a tube of this as well. It comes in handy for many things:

Aftermarket and Toyota OEM parts my first place is Driftmotion. One reason is that I live local to them and can pick up stuff same day.

I have managed to get some Toyota parts from Lakeland Toyota in FL Authentic TOYOTA SUPRA Parts | Toyota Parts Overstock

I also like Aristocrat Autosport . They are literally down the street from me and I ordered my Red Line MT-90 and my Radiator / Thermostat from them.

For used parts, I use the android app these guys have to alert me to when a Supra hits a parts yard near me. I live in SoCal so I'm fortunate that there are about a dozen yards within driving distance.

Ebay will also have hard to find items, albeit expensive, and sometimes people here on the forum do as well.

Your local autoparts store or Rock Auto.com may be the best choice for common stuff.
Lol good thing I work at homedepot lol , thanks for all the info I can't wait to dig in

·
Registered
399 Posts
^^ I actually did the Lamp Failure module mod and no more issues.

I agree with the hoarding of parts. Every time a Supra becomes available out here I go see what I can find. Last outing netted me a good condition complete fuel tank including mounting hardware and gaskets. :)

I developed surface rust in my spare well, and had to use rust removal gel, sanding and then repainted it.

The yellow box is the lamp failure module. There are some articles on the site about how to by pass the box. It's straight forward and solves several issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ I actually did the Lamp Failure module mod and no more issues.

I agree with the hoarding of parts. Every time a Supra becomes available out here I go see what I can find. Last outing netted me a good condition complete fuel tank including mounting hardware and gaskets. :)

I developed surface rust in my spare well, and had to use rust removal gel, sanding and then repainted it.

The yellow box is the lamp failure module. There are some articles on the site about how to by pass the box. It's straight forward and solves several issues.

View attachment 251578

View attachment 251579

Is this legit ? They will be remaking alot of parts ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is, but I haven't followed up on it recently.
seems like a long time for the parts to come available to US but that's great glad they are following in nissans steps. Im waiting for drift motion to open back up so I can start shopping lol got a lot of little things I need from them

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ahh, I didn't see Driftmotion needed time to catch up again.

·
boost'en down 101
1,259 Posts
That video looks like a exhaust leak at the turbo or manifold

1 - 20 of 21 Posts