Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Driftmotion turbo kit with a Borg Warner S366 and I just tried to start the car. it starts up and sounds normal, but once the RPMs start to drop down it starts to idle rough and once i try to give it throttle to keep it going it just chokes out the car and stalls. My wideband reads 12.5 on startup and then it maxes out at 18 when it goes down to idle (it smells very rich though). the car is running stock MAF, ECU, and injectors at the moment.
Any Ideas? ask as many questions as you want.

·
From the land down under
3,877 Posts
Hi there

Can you drive it, or have you not tried yet?

I know that when the ECU is reset, due to the battery being disconnected, it needs to relearn its fuel trims, so normally, going for a drive seems to sort it out.

Are you 100% certain that all of your sensors are plugged in properly? Your MAF might be unplugged still.

Do you have any fault codes showing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there

Can you drive it, or have you not tried yet?

I know that when the ECU is reset, due to the battery being disconnected, it needs to relearn its fuel trims, so normally, going for a drive seems to sort it out.

Are you 100% certain that all of your sensors are plugged in properly? Your MAF might be unplugged still.

Do you have any fault codes showing?
I haven't tried driving it yet, I'm worried it's running too lean.

I tripple checked all the sensors and I think it could be a vacuum leak somewhere I cant find, something letting in unmetered air either post MAF or pre O2 sensor.

I havent checked any codes because I dont have a reader

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could it be that I'm running a 4" intake with the stock MAF. I've been looking at a lot of pictures and I haven't seen anyone using a 4" intake with the VVT-i MAF. Could the be causing the problem? I guess there would be a lot more air flowing by it once it steps up to 4".

·
Registered
561 Posts
Use a 3" intake with the stock MAF, as it was originally designed to run.

Also the car is a PITA to run after a reset of the ECU with a single turbo. With a freshly reset ECU, you will stall the car when giving it a quick burst of acceleration and letting it off, cold starts will misfire in warm weather as you'll be running very rich, you will dip in to the 9's, where AFR is concerned, on lifting off at any throttle percentage, even after the ECU has learned the long term fuel.

I'd highly recommend a standalone ECU, if not to simply sort the fuelling out.

·
Tree Hugger
798 Posts
Yes you must use the stock intake size with the OEM vvt-i ecu and maf/map sensors.

This is a modified CX racing intake. Currently runs perfect, although could handle more boost with my S362 with 10 AFR's on 10 psi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you must use the stock intake size with the OEM vvt-i ecu and maf/map sensors.

This is a modified CX racing intake. Currently runs perfect, although could handle more boost with my S362 with 10 AFR's on 10 psi.
Ok, thanks everyone for all the quick replies. I bought a new 3" intake with provisions for the stock MAF and I'll leave an update once I get it and test it out. Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the help. I changed the intake from a 4" to a 3" and the car idles great now. It's still a little finicky when driving and even stalled once while on the throttle but I think the ECU is still slowly adjusting (I've only driven it for about 5 minutes)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts