Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new strut tower bar on my 91 na yesterday and took it for a ride and it pierced the what i think is the antifreeze return line and it got antifreeze all through my spark plug valley. Now im wondering if i treat it just like getting water in the valley or is there a different way to go about it.....plz help cuz it wont even start.

·
Got Boost?
216 Posts
How much coolant is in there exactly, cause if its just a little bit you can probably get away with just taking the plugs out and letting it go into the cylinders and then put it all back together and run it, it will burn it as long as there isnt too much! DONT do this if you have an excessive amount of coolant in there. If you do have a ton of coolant then i would start but getting some sort of shop vac and making an attachment thats thin and can get down into the plug valleys and suck as much of the coolant out as you can and then do what i mentioned before. Even send a pic to me if your worried about the amount of coolant and your unsure.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me with my na. You need to put washers under the the strut bar mounts. I just got down there with paper towels and mopped most of it up. I didn't have the spark plug cover on though so that allowed me to get down there. Then I pulled my plugs and my wires and let the wires dry out for a bit. Later.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I find duct taping a heater hose onto the shopvac hose quite usefull. It will work for sucking up the coolant. It also works for sucking up dirt when you change valve cover seals and stuff like that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i take the plugs out and turn it over spits that shit out sooo fast lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replys and im sure i can get alot of the coolant out b4 i take the plugs out so im thinking about either doing the shop vac thing or just take all the plugs out and let some antifreeze drip down into the cylinders or whatever and see if any blows out when i turn it over. ill let you know how it went.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol if too much antifreeze went into the cylinder, and you put the spark plug in...antifreeze doesnt compress so if the piston was on the compression stroke...somethings gunna go bang right? but yeah if you have one of those little grabber things or pliars im sure you could put some paper towel and just dab it and try get most of it. just roll the paper towel in a ball type and grab it witht he pliars or a grabber thing(cant think of the name right now) and just put it in and soak up as much as possible. let us know how it goes :)

·
Scratching and Sniffing
2,849 Posts
I just used shop towels and a piece of wooden stick to push the towel down as much as possible to get the coolant, then just used compressed air and blew the rest of the water right out of there.Maybe use wd40 aswell before blowing with air as it works as a contact cleaner and dispersant for water.

·
Registered
231 Posts
VanSupra said:
I just used shop towels and a piece of wooden stick to push the towel down as much as possible to get the coolant, then just used compressed air and blew the rest of the water right out of there.Maybe use wd40 aswell before blowing with air as it works as a contact cleaner and dispersant for water.
Heh, yeah why bother with taking out the plugs? Use paper on a screwdriver and push it down the holes...

An alternative is to jack the car up in the front, the water will then tend to goto the 6th sparkplug. There you can use compressed air to blow it into some towel or something that you hold around the holes so you wont mess up your engine compartment :)

While your at it, check your valvecovers and retorque the screws, they have a tendency to break loose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
me and my buddy went and bought all new plugs and wires and just soaked up what we could and replaced everything and the car fired right up with no stuttering or missing and is running great, but i wil admit i was scared cuz when we pulled in my driveway when all this first happened and seen white smoke pouring from under the hood all i thought was bhg....thanks again for all the suggestiones

·
Registered
221 Posts
Washed my engine once and it wouldn't run right after that, because of the water in the valleys shorting the plugs. I just used an air compressor. worked for me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts