• Get it repaired at a shop

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 7mge swap

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 7mgte swap

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Sell and buy new car

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Other (don't recommend I fix it myself)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I need help bad. So had a little trouble with my car over heating and took it to the dealership. Got horrible news, not only did I need a new radiator, fan clutch, and shrouds for both, I've got a BHG. The cars an 88 NA AT w/ 177k miles. I'm not a mechanic and don't have much money saved up ($3k max). I need help in figuring out what to do. Should I:

1.) Get the thing fixed by a shop. This includes, new gasket, machine work, the whole nine yards. Probably the radiator, and fan clutch too. If so, where in the Cali, Bay Area is a good shop to take it? Possible cost?

2.) Get a new NA motor and swap. Remember I'm not a mechanic, I'm looking at cost here. If this is cheaper than the repair work, it is worth it to me to look into. Shop? Cost?

3.) Get a new 7mgte motor and swap. Probably too expensive for we considering I need a shop to do it, but probably cheaper than what the dealership quoted for a repair. Shop? Cost?

4.) Sell the car as a "running" project car and get a new car. Unfortunately this is probably what I'm gonna have to do, as on Monday I need to be able to commute to work. Might be able to hold off and take public trans to work, or keep driving the car. But neither of those sounds like a good idea at this point. If I do this what should I ask for the car (remember Bay Area, CA)? Body is in good condition (no rust, needs some paint on hood and targa), new brakes, rims (curb rash), cd player, amp, and sub-box, interior is good (not great, but good).

5.) Other. Got any recommendations? Remember, I work fulltime or more, don't have the tools, time, space, or knowledge to do it myself. If you recommend I do it myself I will just ignore you.

Please I ned help.

-J

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea how much a usdm 7mgte swap would cost? I'm in Cali so it needs to pass smog, which means I needs everything to make it work.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Just a thought, but there is a TON of supra enthusiasts in the bay area, and although I don't know them they seem friendly enough to help someone out with these problems.

With a knowledgable group of supra owners and all the parts needed (Beer and pizza also ;)) I'm sure everything could be fixed in a matter of days (If machining goes smoothly)

Shops charge up the ass for labor and it will usually be much more for labor than for everything else (Parts, determination, testing, etc.)

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
swap motor. Do a MHG on the 7MGTE do it right and never worry about a thing called BHG again.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
i'd say sell it. if you own a supra and don't know how to work on cars, you're pretty much going to waste a crapload of money.

it'll cost your more money on parts & labor than the car actually worth in the end whether you rebuild,fix, or replace engine.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of a 7mgte swap, but I honestly don't think it is realistic. Not sure a repair is reasonable now either. I have to commute to work eveyday. I don't even have a few days to spend with other people to get it fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion AGlobalThreat, I know there are good people out there. I appreciate the support.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kroze said:
if you own a supra and don't know how to work on cars, you're pretty much going to waste a crapload of money.
Yeah, unfortunately I didn't know this 6 months ago when I got the car. Now I've learned. But it is still a hard lesson to swallow.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You can always safe some money and buy a twin electric fan.(no more fan clutch,shrouds, :blah: )
If your thinking of buying a new radiator, agian buy a grifon radiator it's cheaper then a stock radaiator.

If it's was was my car, and I have a low budget I would fix it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ToMuchBoost said:
If it's was was my car, and I have a low budget I would fix it.
I still have to deal with the BHG, which is gonna be a big deal and costly any way I attack it. The other stuff is just added bonus, so to speak.

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
Contact someone in the bay area!!!, post in the norcal section!!!, few people can help you, matter in fact i can do the work also, pm for details

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
i said sell it and buy another supra, the money you put into repairing all the problems plus the bhg its not even worth it, id say save up alittle more, and start off either with a turbo mkiii, or do the 7mgte swap

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I've reached my decision, as sad as it is. I love this car, but I think it is time to move on. Don't think I will get another Supra, cause I'm not a mechanic, and I really want handling over power. I will be listed my car for sale and will entertain any offers. Thanks all.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
how bout u give me to car n i'll see how much shipping will cost me lol

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TaSe said:
how bout u give me to car n i'll see how much shipping will cost me lol
lol, shipping would be like $995. Not really worth it for you or me :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts