Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take a look, let me know if you can confirm or identify this turbo. The only info I have on it, is that it's a "Precision GT4067". The compressor housing was stripped of any identifiers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information in terms of where it came from, who's car it was in, previous owner, etc. It came off a Supra, and that's all I got.

Any help would be much appreciated. Reason is that I'd like to buy a new compressor housing that hasn't been harassed.

----------

Positive ID > Lock it up.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
If the compressor housing has been ground down, I'm inclined to believe it's NOT a precision turbo. More likely a knock-off and someone was trying to get one over on you.

The design does not match any gt4067 pictures I have seen. I'm calling it Chinese Ebay Turbo.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Looks like a Garrett GT 4088R

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
carman336 > The grind down is obviously an attempt to conceal the brand -- god knows what the intent was. The idea of getting one off is fair, but not likely. Without going off on a tangent of speculation and motive, I can say this; The owner of this car (whom I did not know/meet) went thru great lengths modifying the car properly i.e. Koyo Rad, TiAL WG, ID Injectors, RMR Intake mani (even a knock off costs a nut), chromed parts, cleaned/relocated everything on the engine bay, wheels, fuel management, etc. The point is, it wasn't a run down Supra, this was a pristine '98. The guy dropped serious bread on it. Where I'm getting at, is that I don't think it's Chinese -- doubt they went budget on the snail...you get me? I don't, however, think its Precision either. Dude who gave it to me (who was not the original owner), probably didn't know either and just took a stab at it. At least that's the logical approach based on the overall condition and modifications of the car.

Anyways, based on my analysis (I didn't post this without making an attempt), it looks more like a Garrett housing. Here is what I got on the close ups. I'll have to go to the shop and take some better pics. Thanks for your help man. Much appreciated:

----------

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
That kind of grind down is common as a precursor to polishing the compressor side.

I agree with Ravan - that looks like a GT4088R.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
That kind of grind down is common as a precursor to polishing the compressor side.

I agree with Ravan - that looks like a GT4088R.
The grinding points do appear to be consistent with the Garrett housings. As does the compressor inlet. Since you think it's reputable, that's probably what it is. Even if it is eBay, those turbos still function as long as lube and temps are in check. You just won't be able to get a properly matched housing if that's the case.

·
Administrator
8,800 Posts
Take a look, let me know if you can confirm or identify this turbo. The only info I have on it, is that it's a "Precision GT4067". The compressor housing was stripped of any identifiers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information in terms of where it came from, who's car it was in, previous owner, etc. It came off a Supra, and that's all I got.

Any help would be much appreciated. Reason is that I'd like to buy a new compressor housing that hasn't been harassed.

----------

Looks like the gt4088r like everyone says,

Same outlet flange on cold side as well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wreckless > Makes sense. Lots of polished parts in the engine bay. I'm assuming this was probably next.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
FastTurbo > Thanks as well, but I'm starting to have some doubts on the model. I think its def a Garrett;
https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbochargers

However, based on the outlet in the front of the housing...I'm not so sure it's a gt4088r unless that was an option. I found other models that have that outlet...
That housing I believe was only used on the following turbos- GT4088, GT4088R, GTX4088R, GT4094R, Base don the compressor wheel it is not a GTX4088R. The best option to differentiate a 4088 turbo from a 4094 turbo is remove the exhaust housing and measure the turbine wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts