Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is intended for anyone that mounted the 2nd diff mount on their NA. Mine just came in today and I'm having the hardest time even getting it to fit the slot.

First off, let me rant a lil. I just fucking spent 3 hours the day before installing my rear TRD sway bar, and I had to remove it to try to install this mount.

OK, back to topic. I guess you have to press it in. I'm wondering what do you use to do this? I'm having a machine shop trim off the edges of the diff mount tomorrow. I know it's supposed to be hard to get in there so it'll be secure so the diff doesn't move. But I figure trimming it off a lil and getting it to fit is better than nothing.

So if someone can provide me with a better way to press it in, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
ditto

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Urban Customs said:
all i can say is good luck. hopefully you get it in. let me know if this mod really works cause then ill do it and it will be easier for me since you were the prototype handy man. lol
Shit, lol. I'm always the genuea (sp?) pig around here. Whenever I try something cool, I always try to share it. I'm always stuck trying. I can't seem to get this shit in.

My dad just cut 2 slots out of SS. I might end up welding that shit in like the ones they sell for $75 on Titanmotorsports (what a ripoff). I'm still trying to get the OEM mount on though. The way I plan to do it now is take a longer bolt, put a spacer on the face of the mount, and try screwing it in. Hopefully the force of the bolt will press the mount in. Then I'll take the longer stud out, and screw the stock stud on.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Ditto on the lift approach there.

BTW....if you decide to go a different route than the diff mount, let me know and I might be interested in purchasing the mount from you if its still new-ish and untamperd with.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hayman! That shit sucks dosent it!!
This is what it did:
used a grinder and grand the sides down little by little, just test fit, and grind, fit and grind, mine was a very snug fit once i finly got to that point, i also coted the mount with gress to help it slide into place. I got it in with a hammer and a blount end of a screw driver, just tap it into place, evenley, you dont wont it to go in sidways and get stuck, just be calm and take your time.
It took me and a frend 6 hours (5:30am)
I dont think you can press it in becouse the gass tank is in the way.

Sweet rims (te'37) i'll have mine in may!!!
do you like the 17" or should i go for the 18"
let me know if you get that rear tt brakes for me
PM me if you need any more ideas on the mount, i'll be working on my Z24
GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SSSUPRA said:
They have to pressed in, but I warned you that you'd have to remove the rear subframe and do that.
Pressed in using what?

----

I tried rigging up my own press. It was working for a while, till it literally POP; snapped the bolt in half.

I had a longer stud made, since the orig one is too short. I then had a "spacer" piece made. I put the diff mount on, the spacer over it, and then attempted to screw on the stud. I was hoping the force would slowly press the mount in. I figured once it's in, I would take it out and put the oem stud in.

It was going in a little bit, torqueing was tight as shit. Then it just POP. The opening of my diff hole got damaged.

I guess I'll try the grinding it down shit. I know it won't be as sturdy, but anything's better than nothing. I'm tired of this shit, lol.

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, got that mofo in, now anothe problem (this shit never ends, haha)

Well I finally got my diff mount in using my ghetto "press". I had to sand down the mount a little bit. I didn't sand it down that much though. I sanded enough just to get rid of the black paint or whatever that was surrounding the mount. Then I greased it up with white lithium grease.

I used a longer machine made bolt (we had to custom make this bolt as none was available). I slightly put the mount on. I then screwed the longer stud in. Then I put this "spacer" piece that'll help with pressing the mount on. I then put on some nuts and start screwing. It slowly pressed the mount on. It helps if you use a hammer and tap it once in a while. You'll hear a "thud" as the mount is squeezed in.

I think it the total project cost around ~100. It was like 70 for the mount, and 30 to make the custom stud and spacer.

If someone wanna do this, and use my ghetto "press", I'll resell it to you to recover some money it costed me to make it.
------------

Now to fucking rant, lol. Man I got that mount in, I was all excited and shit. I went to reinstall my rear sway, happily on my way. I was torqueing that shit in when the fucking bolt snapped in half. That shit was all rusty and old. I guess it couldn't handle the torque. Now it's stuck in there and no way to get it out. I'm gonna have to find a place to try to drill a hole in there and try to get that shit out or something. Looks like my bitch is always something wrong, one after another is solved.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
if you would have called me like you did before i would have told you to heat up the rear member with a torch while the mount was in the freezer and things would have gone together much much easyer.
david

1 - 12 of 12 Posts