Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so some history. This car used to have an external paxon pump with a sumped tank, now i converted it back to intank pump with a walbro 450. Its a 1994 tt v160 car converted to single using a rps manifold and old school t70 turbonetics turbo. I plan on updating the turbo setup after i get it running. So far i installed a new -8 braided feed line, blew out return, unbolted intake manifold to get to injectors. I cleaned a little crud out of back of injectors. I cleaned regulator as well. While having it apart i installed egr block of plates and deleted the trac pump. I installed new plugs and I do have spark. I checked injector pulse with a noid light and I do have injector pulse. While I crank it over the fuel pressure is good, 45-50 psi. The timing belt is untouched and intact. Im not sure if I have something unplugged or what. The car has alot of plugs that are unplugged from unneeded sensors (vsv) any ideas?

·
Supraforums Member
701 Posts
I recently encountered a similar situation with a Porsche 911. It had sat for at least twelve years. Last I could remember driving it was in 2006.

I needed to do plugs, pumps, flush fuel hard lines, replaced rubber fuel hoses, cleaned fuel tank, replaced fuel injectors, replaced fuel regulator... It was quite the pain the butt honestly, and it all stemmed from the fuel having sat for that long. Without going into crazy detail, my suggestion would be to get those injectors out and get them cleaned professionally. Take a look in your tank too, check and see what kind of varnish hell has developed in there. I'd also say to do all of that at once, because if you get it running, but don't clean out your tank, you'll end up sucking the crap through the system again. Then you'll be looking for another pump, and getting those injectors cleaned yet again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you. I might have to do the injectors as you recommended. I know the lines are good, I drained and cleaned the inside of the tank. I couldn't find and wiring damage from mice. I pulled all the plugs again, then had slight fuel small, not soaked. Im wondering if i made an error deleting the trac... Is there anything I could have done removing it that would make it not start? Its weird because I have spark and fuel and it doesnt even gurgle like its trying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cam sensors were def plugged in, ill check on crank sensor but i wasnt anywhere near the front of the crank. I ended up just squirting a shot of ether into the intake manifold thru a vacuum line and it almost fired so the problem is def fuel related. I just took all the injectors out and im going to have them professionally cleaned. I wonder if they were so dirty that that arent spraying? I def have injector pulse and fuel pressure. Either way probably a good idea to have them cleaned after sitting for so many years.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
if the injectors sat with fuel in them i wouldnt be surprised if they were gummed up. i would also take the tank out and clean it of any varnish and replace the fuel filter. basically flush all the lines incase there is varnish buildup because it could get into your injectors again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are not getting fuel into the engine, when you crank the engine listen to each fuel injector with a long screwdriver or stethoscope. If the injector is not ticking the injector may be stuck closed due to the varnish. The easiest way to try remedy this without taking them out is unplug injector harness and apply 12 volts directly to the injector in short touches. The signal from the computer doesn't have the amperage to pull the pintle from the seat. When applying the direct 12 volts you should hear the injector tick if the pintle is free, if you don't hear anything the pintle is most likely stuck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update: it was the injectors, i had them cleaned locally and put them back in, car fired up. Its not running perfect, but im sure i missed a plug or vacuum line. thanks for your help everyone. Im sure ill have another issue soon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, still in need of help. So i now have a new fuel feed like -8 and a walbro 450 intank replacing the paxon external fuel pump from 20 years ago. Now the car starts but runs pig rich. I have the fuel pressure set at 45 with the regulator. Im running a vpc/gcc combo with 720cc injectors. Its so rich it wont really hold an idle. I had an old school RSR air/fuel gauge but replaced it with a aem wide band. Its goes right to 10 to 1 rich when i start it. I tried backing out some fuel with the vpc but it cant get it even close. This setup worked fine 15 years ago. lol. I also installed egr block off plates, im not sure how much that can affect it. I havent really gotten the car down the road much, once in a while it with clean up enough to throw it a healthy rev. So my question is what can be causing it to run so rich at idle? The car hasnt been on the road for 15 years, so not sure what could be wrong. Any help would be great! thanks guys

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Maybe you have the A chip in the VPC instead of the B chip (for larger injectors)?

You could always try turning down the fuel pressure, 45 psi is a little high anyway. Try 36-38 psi, and lean out the IDLE knob on the VPC a couple clicks. Leave other VPC settings alone. You probably already know, but be sure to set pressure with vac hose off.

Make sure everything for the VPC is plugged in and has hoses connected, like VPC MAP sensor, and factory MAP sensor.

Al

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe you have the A chip in the VPC instead of the B chip (for larger injectors)?

You could always try turning down the fuel pressure, 45 psi is a little high anyway. Try 36-38 psi, and lean out the IDLE knob on the VPC a couple clicks. Leave other VPC settings alone. You probably already know, but be sure to set pressure with vac hose off.

Make sure everything for the VPC is plugged in and has hoses connected, like VPC MAP sensor, and factory MAP sensor.

Al
thank you, Ill try lowering fuel pressure more. The vpc has the correct chip, as i havent changed the injectors. I checked the VPC map and air temp to make sure they are plugged in. Ill have to look into the factory map and make sure its good. Is it possible the O2 sensors could be the issue?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry if I missed it, but have you put in a new fuel filter?
Yes, the feed line is -8 with a Walbro 450 on a stock hanger fed to the rail, with a Paxton regulator. The return is the stock feed line. I have a red horse fuel filter. It holds pressure well.
I got the check engine light working, and pulled codes. It looks like 4 blinks, then 7, so 47 which is tps. The tps is plugged in, so now to investigate....👀

1 - 15 of 15 Posts