Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 Supra has been sitting for a couple months because I had a tire problem (long story) anyway go out to start it today...nothing. It won't even try to turn over, turn the key and its dead silence?? I'm looking in the manuals for the car and are following the steps on what to do if the car doesnt crank. I replaced the starter, which i thought was bad...failed all six tests!But that wasn't it! I don't want to have it taken to the dealer it would be big bucks! So i'm trying to figure this problem out on my own. I'm in the Nj area so if anyone knows someone who could help me please let me know. I have to get the car running as soon as possible so if anyone knows what could be wrong with it please let me know!! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Stupid point but since you didn't mention it in your post: have you tested the battery? If both the old and new starter won't click or anything, then it's obviously something before that stage.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
It may be the battery though. Mkiv's are notorious for having battery issues when sitting for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think it is though. I mean when I go to start the car I am not taking any voltage. It is still reading 11 - 13 volts. It is almost like it is not getting the juice? Could the alarm system be telling the car not to start or overriding it somehow?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
check your fuses under the hood as well ,they might have built up condensation and stuff and might not allow the juice to flow .

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
your alarm could cause it to kill the power to the starter if something was wrong so nothing would happen...check the power wire going to the starter when cranking.

K

·
0 Posts
hey man i've had the same problem twice, my car is in storage while i'm at school, but i just jumped it and ran it for a few and it was good to go for the rest of the time... untill i put it back in storage, but i have N/A, i don't know how the coil packs would react to a jump??? like i said after the jump it ran fine... try that

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My advice for troubleshooting and repairing cars is to start with the least expensive item and go forth (unless the problem is clear).

See what you may have missed:

1. Check the battery for proper voltage (should be >12). Swap it with a known good battery.

2. Pull out and check every fuse.

3. Try arming and disarming your alarm..just to make sure it's starter kill hasn't been activated.

4. Recheck all your connections (since you did put in a new starter).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Make sure you have a good connection on the ground coming off the battery. Also like the others said check the positive side too.

You didn't mention (or atleast I didn't see mentioned) do you have interior lights or power at the dash? I assume you checked the fuse block under the hood near the battery? Test the small wire on the starter to make sure you have power when the key is turned to start at the starter.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
So I am having same issue

First I jumped the supra, drive around, then turned out fine a couple of times a couple of days ago, but today there no juice at all, I was jumping the car again

Did anyone nail down this problem before? Some loosen or corroded wire? a blown fuse for jumping that much? starter problem? don`t think so, but let us know comments

Thanks

DJ

·
11,219 Posts
Supra's are known for killing the battery if it sits. I drive mine like once every 2 weeks if that. I just start the car everyday and let it idle for 10 minutes on the turbo timer.

It might be a bad battery or a bad alternator. To test the alternator, start the car, take out the negative terminal of the battery. If your car continues to idle for 10+ secs, you have a good alternator.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Supra's are known for killing the battery if it sits. I drive mine like once every 2 weeks if that. I just start the car everyday and let it idle for 10 minutes on the turbo timer.

It might be a bad battery or a bad alternator. To test the alternator, start the car, take out the negative terminal of the battery. If your car continues to idle for 10+ secs, you have a good alternator.
no, you shouldn't do that. that can send power spikes through your electrical system and of course thats not good. the only good way to test a alt. is to put it on a tester like a vat-40.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Guys, I know the PHR alternator wich is brand new is good, teh thing here is more likely that the starter is not getting the estimulation signal from Key Switch, more relay or fuse related..

Is this comon on toyotas staters?

How did this guy solved his problem??

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
batteries die on supras. Replace the battery, or have it tested at a local Autozone/Kragen, and have them recharge it if low.

Also your fuel may have gone stale if it sat long enough, but I doubt this is what happened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts