Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are looking to spend 30-35k for a new car. they are in their 50's and could use something nice and luxurious. The car would have to be reliable and they have the option of buying a used or new car. Definitely something that is a sedan. Here're the choices I've thought of so far.

New G35 sedan
New Acura TL
Used Lexus LS430
Used Lexus GS300
Used Acura RL (newer style)

Any other suggestions? I'm swaying away from the BMW/MB/Audi cars because of their reliability compared to the Japanese made cars. But if you think otherwise, let me know. Thanks for your input

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with either Lexuses or the Acuras...

since they are older, I'd imagine the LS and the RL would be better choices. Maybe the RL for the awd...

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Casper: My recommendation would be the LS430 used. My parents were die-hard MB owners until they bought the LS 2 years ago. Since they bought their last car, all their friends had converted to the Lexus and my mom's 2000 S500 had disappointed them thoroughly. They would have better size for "older" folks in the LS than any of the other options, and overall it is just a plain nice car (no matter what the reviewers say about the back seat, I find it swell). Good luck with their purchase.

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
Can't go wrong with G either. Comfy and reliable with nice performance for its class. But since it is for your parents, I guess LS430 or RL would be the best choice. Also check out Infiniti M35.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really do like the ls430. it exudes luxury and class. sucks that hey can't get the ls460 coming out. i figure they could probably get an 03-04 in that price range if i find a good deal for them. i kinda want to stay away from the G35 b/c i feel that it is for the younger crowd. same for the tl. It looks like either the ls430 or the gs. i just wanted to confirm my prospects with people on the board. good to see that we're all on the same page :)

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
I like the GS because its a mixture of Sport and Luxury... ... you can have the class and luxury of the LS.. and in a min switch over to sport like the G and the TL... its a mixture of both worlds..

and the GS 4XX fucking moves on the highway... that car has some deceptive balls

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
doug said:
I like the GS because its a mixture of Sport and Luxury... ... you can have the class and luxury of the LS.. and in a min switch over to sport like the G and the TL... its a mixture of both worlds..

and the GS 4XX fucking moves on the highway... that car has some deceptive balls
I def. agree the GS ones are more sporty...I just think when I'm in my 50s, probably would prefer more luxury since the LS will def. be more luxurious than a GS. I'd personally take the GS as well :)

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
For your parents, I'd go for the RL, Acura's flagship sedan. If they don't mind spending 10k more, the LS430 is a very nice vehicle as well.

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
2006 Toyota Avalon, if they are looking to buy new.

Just go drive one, you'll be surprised that it can hang with the luxury name plates.
Also, it seems to meet your parents' criteria.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i thought about the avalon too. but they already have a 98 avalon and wasn't too impressed by it. i know the new one is 10 steps up but it is still the same car as the one in 98 to them. go figure

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
RL for it's superb styling (interior is absolutely gorgeous), luxury and especially all the technology put into that car... Not to mention it's got AWD!!!

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Get the RL it has more options and equipment than both of those Lexus models. I absolutely HATE Honda/Acura, but that RL deserves some recognition. Front wheel cars do not appeal to me, so when I saw the new RL I was instantly swayed to test one out. Truly an underappreciated gem considering the direction resale values have been going. The G35 is nearing the end of it's product cycle, that's a no-no. The newer car is much better, have they looked into the M35? The G really has too many cheaper touch surfaces for me, for some reason even the Q does not have surfaces that match the M. Chalk that up to newness but I think that's the best car in their lineup. If you absolutely had to go with Lexus get the LS, the GS always struck me as a half assed car. Everyone jumps on Toyota's nuts and goes off on how sporty it is, it's essentially the same car as an LS but without the advanced variable suspension parts. The LS can be most likened to a new age type musclecar, lots of power on oversteer if you want it. The GS reminds me of a taxi, I just don't like the ride. I must be biased. I am biased. But I drive an LS too, so I can't be so biased against the brand as a whole. The LS is a good car, not excellent but good. Much better than the other cars up there aside from the RL. The Cadillac STS is worth a go if you are brave. I haven't test driven the new v8 model (only v6) and it was actually better than something like a G35 or TL. Reliability can't really be discerned yet, but the older STS didn't have many problems. The best part is that you will be buying a warranty with the car. As for me I have a 2001 E55 for sale. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
why dont you try an Audi A6 or A8?? my dad has an 2005.5 A6 and it hasnt broken down yet and its already at its first service interval right now at 15k kms, and the fit and finish is great, the A8 im not so sure about it but theres a lot of rich people here in the philippines who own A8s(newest ones) and they havent had any reliabilty concerns yet...but what do i know.. im just a 16 yr old who goes to the dealer every weekend...haha the reason being is my dad keeps checking if theres a TDI unit available for the A6 and i have my A4 being serviced(bought used).... audis are very reliable and as long as they(your parents) keep up with their maintenance scheds they'll be fine... my dad has drove the A8 and he said it was like driving a car in air, even if you floored it, you couldnt feel the power but it went so fast and you couldnt really feel it because of so much comfort the car offers...and yeah its expensive......haha but atleast you get what you paid for.... oh yeah and quattro and ESP will save your life even if you dont correct an oversteer/understeer/skid/drift/stupid moves.....and yeah the car will baby you......just tell them to get the A6 or A8 with adaptive suspension that way they'll be more into it hehe coz stock(normal not sport) suspension is bumpy already....

just one of my suggestions hehe....

EDIT: shit i just saw the budget...oh well...only the A6 will fit in your budget...even if its maxed out with all options and 4.2qtip already its still with in 50k...if you want lower then the 2.4q with cvt would do...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts