Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, im considering suspension options. im planning on getting the stock struts revalved to my specific needs so i dont have to add unnecessary function to my suspensoin. ive already had adjustable struts on my last car. i adjusted it once and never touched it again. so, basically, when i get my suspension dialed in, it precludes me from wanting to fiddle with it anymore after that.

im keeping my car within the stock curb weight, plus driver and 50lbs of stuff... a 3800 lb car.

im not sure what spring rates are what because ive never rode in any other MK3 besides stock TEMS suspension or BG sport springs/GR2 shocks. i want a tighter ride for a more responsive car, but i dont want it TOO stiff for daily use. This car is primarily going to be a highway/top speed car, not so much drift or AutoX... possibly road race on open track days. but i dont want to get hemmhoroids from driving my damn car.

here are the rates ive found that are available for the MK3

Hardest to softest, in Front/rear (Kg/mm):

18/14 [Megan Racing/Apex-i]
18/11 [Cusco Zero-1, Cusco Zero-2]
18/10 [JIC FLT-2, SilkRoad, Tein RA]
16/10 [Cusco Comp-S, Kei Office TE, Kei Office XR, Kei Office XT, Kei Office XT alpha, Zeal Function B6, S6 and Superfunction (hard option)]
16/9 [Tein SS]
14/12 [Kei Office GU]
14/10 [JIC FLA-2 (old rates), Kei Office GX, Zeal Function B6 and S6 (street option)]
14/6 [HKS hypermax II]
12/9 [JIC FLA-2 (new rates), JIC SF-1]
12/6 [Tein Flex, Tein HA, Tein HR]

These are just coilovers. Im trying to find out more Spring rates for bolt-on/factory fit springs, such as the H&R sport/race springs, Eibach pro-kit, suspension techniques, etc. plus, i dont know what the factory spring rates are to use as a basis for comparison.

Lowering Springs

Lowering spring info gathered from Jeff Gore's table, converted to Kg/MM using Dr.Jones' info.

to convert Kg/mm to lb/in, multiply by 55.9. do convert lb/in to kg/mm, divide by 55.9

if anyone has input from experience with other coilovers or more spring rates, post up.

thanks
chris

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
18/14 for the megans iirc

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i'd like to hear some response to this also.i installed some espelir active super down springs on bilsteins.i'm not sure about the spring rate's or how the ride is though.i put it on the ground and it feel's pretty stiff.also very low,think i'll be shoveling dirt into the ic this summer.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did a quick google on Supra "spring rates"... the only thing that came up was a bunch of websites talking about "improved spring rates" for whatever aftermarket springs they were peddling... but, no one had specific rates listed for any application.

i was able to find a list of individual Tein springs.

http://www.mohdparts.com/tein/index.html

you can custom order them. IIRC, both the front and rear springs of the MK3 are straight, not tapered like MacPhereson strut cars. so if our springs fall within the same dimensions as the springs that Tein offers, we can order them to suit our needs. but, again, id like to figure out waht our stock spring rates are for a basis of comparison.

Oh, and Bilsteins FTW!

·
Registered
596 Posts
tein SS are a pretty good choice. its what i have on my car. the adjustable shocks really make a big difference. and they can be had for a fairly decent price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello are we talking rates for coilovers or regular style springs. Because coilover rates can be changed at any time. Do a general search for supra suspension there is a page out there thats got the rates of all springs made for MK3. Also the rear spring is a STD 5in OD x 12ish spring.Hypercoils makes STD 5in OD x 9,10,12in long in rates from 100in/lbs to iirc 1000in/lbs. The front spring is whats known as a single pigtail style Hypercoils also make the same set up. These are STD race car parts . Look into it if interested. this is how I will be redoing my suspension I got the rears on the way as we speak. PEACE

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Just to add, I have both and a set of Bilsteins. I will test them out if you'd like and give you a comparison, but I'd still like to know what the rates are. I will be working on my car again this weekend. I've taken like a month off for a number of different reasons, but I will be able to get them in this weekend and give a good comparison. What a PITA the rear shocks are to replace, with having to remove the entire interior from the hatch area.

·
Registered
371 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts