Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weird one. Last saturday went to leave and bam clutch hits the floor.. Checked fluid - bone dry. Filled up, started car, pumped clutch, back to mormal. Let car sit for two days, clutch soft again, fluid on ground. Pumped clutch some more got presure back. Today I jacked the front end up and I cant find the leak! Had a friend pump the clutch while I nose under the car.... nothin. There is no fluid inside the car and none around the master or slave cylinder. The car has sat up in the air all day and the clutch is still solid. What the heck is goin on here... Please any suggestions... I am stumped. Oh and after I get pressure back I have no problems shifting. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically the fluid is leaking out of the tranny itself?? So I should just replace slave and master cylinder and it should be ok? thanks

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
yeah, i'd do them both. Had the same prob, did em both and it was fixed. Hell they dont cost that much for new ones

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Park the car and notice EXACTLY where the leak is comming from. From the location of the oil located under the car you should be able to determine which one of the two cylinders are leaking. Usually its the master.

Kruso

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Toyota? why? too expensive. Hit up autozone, its cheaper. If you wanna save more money, just get a rebuild kit. It's pretty easy to rebuild them. Just take it apart first to make sure the bore isn't scratched, though I have yet to see a bad bore, but you can't be too carefull.

Christian

F

·
0 Posts
great

someone else with this problem, not that I wish it on you. I dont know the difference between the slave and master clutch cylinders...is the slave the 'release' cylinder in the TSRM, or are they setup in a parallel fashion?

Do you guys have any tips for changing the cylinders? Mine has fluid inside the engine bay in the cylinder next to the big brake cylinder. I am assuming that this is the master clutch cylinder, but Im not sure. How much money are we talking here to rebuild everything/either and do I need any new tools??? The TSRM had an SST for pulling the master.

Please help me, I tried to search. (How I found this thread)

-Jon

PS - This is how it happened. It was making squealing noises when I had the pedal depressed for more than a second when the engine was on. Then tonight I was stopped at a light, then on green pushed the clutch in and couldnt get it in gear. It would NOT go into gear when the car was running(but did when its off).

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
yup, sounds like your clutch master cylinder is out (the slave is the one that bolts onto the transmission). Only "special" tool I can think of needing to rebuild it is a pair of snap ring pliers. However, if you don't even know the difference between the two (not flaming here) I wouldn't recommend a rebuild. Just buy a new one, they aint that expensive. Removal is cake. You don't need an sst. Just remove the rod from your clutch pedal. That rod has to come out with the master. Take off the lower dash cover for better access. Two nuts (or bolts) hold the cylinder in place. Been a while. Take them out from onder the dash. Then it just pulls right out throught the engine bay (disconnect the line from it of course)

Christian

F

·
0 Posts
this thing is a PITA

I dont have a long extension, and cant reach the drivers side bolt out of the two. Why the fook did Toyota put that thing so damn far up there. Riding my bike to Lowe's tomorrow, sheesh!:rolleyes:

PS - The TSRM says you can use a screwdriver instead of snap pliers? Wheres the best place to buy a rebuild kit cheap?

L

·
0 Posts
Autozone's rebuild kits are like maybe 12 bucks....don't use a screwdriver.....its near impossible, and dangerous, it's worth buying the snap ring pliers....pick em up at autozone, then just repackage and return say you didn't need it. they don't care...trust me.

F

·
0 Posts
well that sucks

I just bought the 'clutch master cylinder kit' from NAPA for like 22 bucks. I hope it has all the grease that I need for that price. Oh well, still cheap enough for me.

I was successful with the help of my roommate getting the snap ring out with two small screwdrivers. No damage to the ring

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
While you'[re under there, pull back the padding/sound deadener and check to see if fluid has leaked on the inside, which it usually does. Clean that shiet up cause it will eat your paint up like a mofo.

F

·
0 Posts
FINALLY

got thie master in and the system bled. I hope I bled it enough, I couldnt see but a few specs...and they didnt go away even while i pumped it like 5-6 more times. I used nearly an entire small can of fluid.

Now there is a sqealing sound coming from the slave cylinder area when I press the clutch pedal. The plastic covers are gone from the tranny too, so the noise might be from inside, like a spring or something. What you guys think? No fluid falls from the slave when I press the pedal either. I havent started it yet cause my battery is now dead :mad: heh, oh well

L

·
0 Posts
....it squeals when you turn the starter? or when it runs? put those covers back on then see what happens. Is this the stock clutch? If so how many miles, the squealing may just be your throw out bearing...:( which means time to replac the clutch if its old. Or it could just mean your clutch fork needs grease....either way get it started, but double check everything under their first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts