Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
help! coolant leak/smoking (with pic)

so i got my car back from the shop (finally) but noticed that a few things need to be done. I need to repair the clutch master cynlinder, as its leaking a tiny amount of fluid being the clutch pedal. I found a master cylinder repair kit that included the piston and seals, so that should fix it.

However, another problem has sprung. after driving, i notice smoke coming out of the engine bay. It looks like its coming from the exhaust siide of the turbo, but i think its dur to a coolant leak. The charcoal canister (at least i think it is) is seems to leak coolant out of the line marked "purge" My engine temp isnt fluctuating or running too hot, but after driving, i see a bit of collant on the top of the rim of the charcoal canister. I can smell the smoke, and see it after the car is off (and i do leave the car on idle for a few minutes to cool down after driving) my question is, is this normal?? if not, how can i fix it?

thanks!

Edit:

Here's a picture of it. I think its the Collant line that goes from the Charcoal canister that's labelled "To Tank". I think it's leaking from a spot off the firewall. her's a pic:

If this is in fact the leaky part, what is it called? also, how much does it run? i hope its cheap, i just got this car out of the shop...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whitish? its not black. and i dont have a BHG, just had the bolts retorqued.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
coolant on the canister? hrm..

check the heater vsv. It's right behind the charcoal canister. It have 3/4" hose attached to it.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
also the coolant hoses near the back of the head. The 90' one, and the 2 heater hoses around there are common. Coolant can blow everywhere while you're driving

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
i would replace those (2) 3/4" coolant lines attached to the heater first thing first.

Both of mine went bad and it leaked everywhere. Without taking the 3/4" hose out, i coudln't even tell if the hose are bad or not.

Also, it's a good preventative maintenance to replace those 2 hose anyway because they're old as hell and very cheap to replace.

Also in the picture. where you pointed out "leaky line" that's the fuel tank fume line. it doesn't have any coolant in it.

I'd say that it's the 3/4" coolant line right next to it it's leaking and cause the coolant to run down to the charcoal canister.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the hose i circled one of them? what are the part numbers/ names of those hoses?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nyrockcity21 said:
is the hose i circled one of them? what are the part numbers/ names of those hoses?

these are the 2 hose.

You can just go to autozone and ask for about 3 feet of 3/4" heater hose.

You can cut them up to the length you wnat and install it yourself. Don't have to go to dealer.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. do i have to drain the collant system first? i may just bring it to my mecahnic. I think i should replace that hose that connects to the charcoal canister too (the one i circled). does anyone know what that part number/ name?

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
just drive to autozone, and pull off that small hose. There's nothing in there that's going to hurt. Then take it in there, and tell them you need some of this. They'll be able to help out, but it's really not needed. Hell, I got bored one day and ripped the charcoal canister and all that extra stuff out, it's just parts of the egr system. Plus, with it gone, you've got a much better angle on anything back in that corner, i.e., the two coolant hoses, DP, turbo, etc. etc...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll do that, but until then can someone tell me the name or part number of the hose that i circled that is hooked up to the top of t5he charcoal canister?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Actually its noticable if that L shaped hose is leaking, I would check the heater control valve to see if its cracked around where the L hose connects to it... aight peace :chicken:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BoostAddctn said:
Actually its noticable if that L shaped hose is leaking, I would check the heater control valve to see if its cracked around where the L hose connects to it... aight peace :chicken:
sow hats the name of the hose/pipe that i circled? and where can i find the one you're talking about?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts