Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving under normal conditions yesterday when all of a sudden i noticed the temp guage rising...HOLY SHIT! never seen that before... this was when i was at a light idling. Then, when i started driving and let off the gas it fell back down to normal. Then started goin up again. Parked and turned it off and popped the hood to find coolant sprays all toward the front of the engine bay and a bunch of coolant sitting at the bottom. I have no idea what to do or really look for. There was very little coolant in the radiator and its really low in the resevoir. Any hints before i take it in to get looked at?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The thing that most likely caused the problem would be the thermostat. Also check to see if there is a hole in the upper radiator hose or the overflow hose. It is probably the thermostat due to you not having heat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm thermostat eh? Where is that located and how much would it cost to replace. I didnt see any holes or leaks. Sorry that is an AM question...but im still an amateur when it comes to doin it myself. Thanks for the reply tho

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
workin on the car right now...it is definitally something toward the bottom of the engine bay. Still no heat. Takin off some of these plates to get a closer look. Still no ideas guys???come on. really need to fix this cause i have to drive it from ohio - maryland in 6 days. thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also check the water pump. Is it leaking with the car running? The water pump has a bypass hose that extends below the alternator that will release coolant when the water pump has failed.

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
Check both water pump and thermostat, i had similar thing happened when I got my supra. If you are replacing the water pump, make sure you get the 97-98 model one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you take off the lower radiator hose you can see the thermostat. It's cheap so you might as well try replacing it.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
The thermostat, if you actually remove enough shit to get to it, might as well be replaced even if it still works. However, to check, you should put the thermostat in water and measure the temperature when it opens as you heat the water. I can't remember the temp at which it's supposed to, sorry, maybe check mkiv.com. I had the same problem as you and it was my water pump, mine started to fail by 55k. Like people said, there is a little hose that is supposed to drain the coolant away from your alternator if the seals start to go though isn't that only the case for 97-98???

Good luck, I had to replace the WP and thermostat right before a trip too...

·
Registered
226 Posts
When was the last time you had your cooling system serviced? If it's been awhile you may want to start there. Find a reputable shop in your area that knows when the water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. should be replaced on a Supra and follow their advice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys. Thanks for all the help. i am almost positive it is the water pump. It is leakin as the car runs and right behind the radiator. So i am taking the car in. Thanks again guys.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
If it's leaking right behind your radiator then it's not your water pump...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have been having to add water to my radiator every few weeks also. I dont notice anything leaking anywhere but it is going somewhere. I was wondering if my lower radiator hose might have a tiny hole somewhere but now I wonder if my water pump might be going bad and it is leaking out of that little hose that drains it away from the alternator? How do I check this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
took my car in this morning...and it was the water pump. Now one question i have is that he said it was gonna be 525 dollars to fix with part/labor. seems a little unreasonable to me. Anyone have any idea if this figure is legit. Thanks

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
The water pump is $120, he's probably charging you at least $150, which leaves about 6+hrs of install costs. I think that is in the range but still pricey(that's why I did, and most around here do it themselves). He does have to remove the radiator, cooling fan, intake, crank pulley, timing and acc. belt etc, etc, so it is somewhat of a bitch. Just make sure he replaces the timing and acc. belt, and thermostat, while he's in there to make it worth your while. I think Toyota charges ~$5-600 minimum for that kind of maintenance (anyone else want to verify this?).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
how do you check the water pump? I had to refill my radiator and overflow tanks again yesturday. I had the oil changed today and had them look for leaks and they didnt see anything from under the car.???where is the water going? I am also burning up too much oil. It was very low again this time. I do have bad valve stem seals but would that burn up that much oil?

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Leaking coolant should have nothing to do with your oil. Easiest way to check your water pump for leaks is to: refill your coolant, take off your engine under cover (big plastic sheet under your car), heat up your car to open the thermostat, and then watch for leaks under your car. (If your undercover is on, then the leaks will collect there until you go on a hill or accel/decel.) If you can find a tube sticking down under your pump maybe connect something to it to collect coolant if you don't see leaks. Here is a picture of what it looks like from under the car.

If you don't have this hose, then your alternator will most likely be covered in coolant. At this point, if you have a leaking radiator or hose, you should be able to see it. Maybe have a friend rev the engine to help build a little more pressure...

Also, check the front of your engine block, if you see coolant there but it is not clear where it's coming from, it might be the seal b/t the pump and engine block which is covered up by the plastic timing belt cover.

Good luck..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
thanks, I was asking about 2 different situations. I do still have the cover on the car but when i get a chance I will jack it up and take the cover off to see what is happening. I am losing water and coolant somewhere but I am not smelling it or seeing it in my garage etc....????

As far as the loss of oil? I am at a loss here as well. my valve stem seals are shot but I wouldnt think that would use that much oil. I am not seeing any big leaks in the engine compartment either. I did see some on the stock BOV (it looks coated in oil) I also have a HKS ssq installed.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
I don't know much about oil leaks other than check your oil filter. Also, if your valve stem seals are bad, you will see blue smoke on start-up. I think oil getting into your intake (intercooler, BOV, etc) is comman and the reason why people install oil catch cans. There is an enormous amount of info on valve stems on the forums so you can probably find all kinds of info by searching around a bit..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts