Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hows the front main seal come out??

Okay heres the deal,

Went out in the car hit boost (17lbs, single) and it was leaking oil from the front of the engine, so i did my research on the forums and found out a couple different things it could be. started tearing into it (taking the plastic covers off the timing belt and what not... turns out it seems to be the FRONT MAIN SEAL... oil all over the timing belt itself and looks like the oil is coming from behind the crank.

ok well i cant seem to get the crank bolt off for the life of me. I've tried everything. I just want to make sure that the bolt, to loosing it needs to go to the left (passenger side)?, but this is what i've tried.... using the starter to break it loose - negative - tried like 10 times didn't want to hurt the starter ... next tried force with 3' breaker bar, and i had it in 6th gear e-brake on and someone in the driver seat applying the breaks... its turns pretty much everything the opposite way ( i turn the crank pulley 180degrees and the bolt wont break loose) next tried 2 impact guns, one not that great, the other supposed to be high rating.... my next option is to get an industrial impact gun (one that works on industrial equipment) and pray that it works.... what else could i do, will a certain part make this bolt come off???

everyone says just keep working it, well i have been for 2 days, (4hrs a day) i dont know what to do

also on a side note I dont want this to happen again so I am just wondering what people are doing to help with the blow by pressure leave the bottom end so it doesn't blow out the seal????

I plan on building the motor (113k) but not till at least winter or maybe spring so i want the car to last till then .... any info that you have to help me out will be greatly appreciated .... sorry for the long post

· stop playin wit mah name
2022 Alpina XB7, 2022 F150
3,801 Posts
Yes, you turn counter-clockwise to loosen the bolt. Try using a crank pulley holder and have another person help you hold the crank pulley in place while you loosen it.

· Pot Hole Slalom
410 Posts
I had the same issue. Used a 800ftlb gun as well and it would not break. Tried for 2 hours.

Finally we jacked up the car...took off the inspection cover for the tranny...my mechanic was under the car and used a 3/4" bar that he wedged into the inspection hole to prevent the crank from turning and i was on the crank with a long handle torque bar and a jack-stand handle on top of that to provide more leverage. After one try it broke free...and then I went straight for the cooler :beer: Hope that helps.

Cheers

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks for the imput well after using a tourch and 1000 ft. lbs. impact got it off but i have another question about the seal itself....

How exactly do you get it off?? do I have to remove the timing cover just to get the seal out and put the new one in ?????

thanks for any imput

· Registered
546 Posts
ok thanks for the imput well after using a tourch and 1000 ft. lbs. impact got it off but i have another question about the seal itself....

How exactly do you get it off?? do I have to remove the timing cover just to get the seal out and put the new one in ?????

thanks for any imput
Yeah, take off the crankshaft pulley, the timing cover and then behind that there will be the timing belt guide and the crankshaft timing pulley. remove those as well and your FMS will be behind there. I hope you don't have as much trouble with your timing pulley as i did. Good luck.

· Registered
3,786 Posts
You need to remove the lower timing cover, timing belt, timing belt lower gear. Then use a screwdriver and pry out the old seal from the inside of the seal area. Clean the oil pump to seal surface very well. Clean it again and then clean the outer edge of the seal all with brake clean. Tap the seal in using a large socket in the 40mm range. If you try and tap it in with a hammer, you can distort the sealing area. Some people use Grey RTV for seals, I also use it at work. But when I install a FMS I always put it in dry. I have never had a FMS issue ever.

Lawrence

· The Great Kruso
4,230 Posts
Agreed as well.
Hahaa.... I bet the OP has no idea what you guys are referring to.

The best trick I've found that works to remove a seal is to very carefully screw in a thin screw into the seal and just yank or screw it out.

Kruso

· stop playin wit mah name
2022 Alpina XB7, 2022 F150
3,801 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.