Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my door handle key illumination lights are gone. I think I located the correct replacement parts (will find out in a few days). From my understanding it was standard equipment on all models. Is that correct? I ask because my cylinders look nothing like the first pic...
----------

Mine look more like this...
----------

Did the cylinders change at some point?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They should light up green - that first one is an LED retrofit. I would just put LEDs in yours.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My '95 does have the illumination ring. OEM color is green, as jdubs said. Really dim too... I bet I had mine for over a year before I even realized that shit was there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdubs & Will84 > Thanks! Yeah...I know the light needs to be green. Just wondering because my cylinder(s) don't have that led ring. Didn't realize that 1st pic was aftermarket.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When would these light up? I never knew our cars had anything like this.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
richee3 > With the dome light set to "door", with the car locked, pull the handle as if you're going to open the door. This triggers the light/halo around the keyhole so you can see properly and not stab/scratch the shit out of the door handle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've never noticed these. I just thought that was a weather seal around the lock. I'll have to test mine out tonight!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine is a 94. I checked and with the car locked, only the driver side door handle will trigger the interior doom light and has the light around the key hole. The passenger side will not trigger the doom light and there is no light around the key hole.

·
Stock Twins King
4,490 Posts
They discontinued this in 97. They replaced the Integration module. Other things gone are the slow dimming down. 97 they just go off. I installed a 95 Integration module (bitch of a job) in my 98 and re-wired everything that was missing. There is a lever inside of the door and a special wire plug/harness for the key light. The picture way up top is my LED conversion. Yes there a green LED in the OEM configuration. But the lumen output is terrible. Plus the white milky plastic ring gets fubared over the years and lessons the output. You can take the key lock out and you can see the LED and 2 wires. You can remove it. I had to drill an 1/8" hole in the existing rectangle hole for a typical 3mm LED. I used a small ohm resistor to poop up the light output. Plus a new plastic ring and a nice metal polish job. It for sure stands out much better than OEM.

But there are 2 possibilities. The LED is gone, the connector is unplugged, or the is a broken wire going to the plug or harness.

Like anything else, you might find this is discontinued. But you have to buy the whole lock assembly and then go get it keyed to your key.

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts