Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated the dash lights in my car kept going off and on...The Brake light on the speedo, the Battery light, and the Rear brake light. First they would turn off and on for a while but now they are just on. I toped off my fluids but there still on. I think I have a burnt out break light but I dont have someone here to help me check(I will have to prop a stick on the break pedal), but I dont think that would turn all the other lights on. Anyone know what would cause that?

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I think I have a burnt out break light but I dont have someone here to help me check(I will have to prop a stick on the break pedal), but I dont think that would turn all the other lights on
:lol: I had this happen to me a few weeks ago and I pulled over and was trying to find something in my car to hold the pedal down. I think it's an indication of a burnt out bulb or weak connection. Not 100% on that since everything went back to normal after poking around the tail lights for a minute.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Sounds like your alternator is failing (brake and batt lights will come on) and you have a burnt out brake light.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alt failing huh...Has this happned to you before? I guess I will take it in tomorrow to check the Alt. What does a new Alt cost for the MKIII?

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Sounds like your alternator is failing (brake and batt lights will come on
That's possible but the best indicator for that is a battery that won't hold a charge. I would check your bulbs (take them out and look at the filaments or do the pedal/look at brake lights test) first since it is the easiest.

Is it me or do a lot of people jump to worst case scenarios way too often?

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I jump all too often because thats the story of my life!!! :)

Yeah Im gonna go check the lights right now.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its not my lights....Could it be a loose wire or something? Its never done this before.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Supraman88T said:
Alt failing huh...Has this happned to you before? I guess I will take it in tomorrow to check the Alt. What does a new Alt cost for the MKIII?
Lol yup. After I turbo swapped, I didnt have an alternator (my NA one was bad) so I drove it for a couple days without an alternator (it wasnt hooked up). I though my ebrake switch had gone bad at first, but apparently the brake light will also light up when batt lights up. Must be to get your attention or something.

You can have your alternator tested for free at most parts stores. Im willing to bet that the alternator is failing. Im not sure what the Supras alternator costs, but I spent a little over 200 for the MR2 alternator I use. I think the Supras is a little less.

On more thing, its possible that the brake light failure box is messed up. If all of you brake lights are fine, check the box for internal corrosion, and check to make sure that all of the grounds on the lights are good. A bad ground can cause excessive resistance thus tripping a false failure warning.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the response guys!! I will check the Alt tomorrow!

·
Eclectic
1,139 Posts
sorry to hi- jack.
but do have a part # for it. i tried to find the one described in other threads to no avail. is yours a toyota part or oem?

my bad. i meant the upgraged 120 amp alt from a mr2

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part # for what Part???

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Also check the battery terminals... make sure they aren't loose which could cause a charging code to pop up.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
i had the same problem. it could be your alt- but if it tests fine look at the main power fusible link. it is one of the big blocks in the engine bay fuse block. it is a 100 amp and marked alt or something like that on the fuse block cover. mine had a hairline crack in it and made all sorts of weird things happen- one of which was lights coming off and on. be sure you unbolt it from the bottom- they dont just pull out like the rest of the fuses. i couldnt tell mine was bad til i pulled it.

good luck

dave

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the helpfull input :) but it is my Alternator :( had to get a new one, damn thing was like 160 after core and tax!! But I had to have one plus its a lifetime warranty :) So thanks again guys :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts