Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched out the key cylinder halogen T5 bulb to an LED one & it was ok for a few seconds then it flickered then died. Now I have no power at that bulb socket! Did the low power associated with the LED bulb somehow burn up something inside the integration relay??? My dome light & all interior lights are still working fine. Check all fuses & they are all ok too. Anyone who has swapped out the key cylinder bulb to LED experienced this problem? Please help me in shedding some light on this....

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
500 Posts
The LED should pull less power...butttttttttt... I did have a red quarter panel LED absolutely melt on me when I was doing my LED upgrades. The interesting thing is that only 1 bulb did that. The other red and both front amber were and are just fine.

For now I switched my reds back to the clear LEDs.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,472 Posts
Thi, was the LED a "drop in replacement" type that has its own built-in current-limiting resistor? If not, you shorted out the circuit. If there are no blown fuses (check both driver's kick panel an under the hood just in case an engine bay fuse died first for some reason), then it likely burned up something in the integration relay. If you open it up, it should have an obvious burnt spot in it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shawn,

Wish I knew the integration relay is that sensitive, I would have got a canbus type of LED. All the other leds dropped in fine until I got to the ignition key ring. Now the problem is trying to find the easiest way to remove the integration relay. May be it's a good time to swap it out for an earlier year integration relay so I can have the dome light dimming feature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts