Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Pioneer head unit to replace the old stock head unit in the IV. I've got a Crutchfield harness which I have spliced into the harness that came with the head unit. No problems there. However, there are two plugs that come off of the Crutchfield harness, but there is only one plug that goes into the back of the stock head unit. On top of that, none of the plugs even remotely resemble each other. Please, it sucks driving around with no radio. Can somebody help me get my console back together with some tunes going? Thanks in advance

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
none of you guys have ever installed your own head units huh? can't somebody help me out?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok, it's now clear that I was literally much more than half asleep when I tossed up that post late, late, late last night... So, I'm just going to start over from the beginning. You stated that your Crutchfield wiring came with two harnesses. That makes things possible but not so possible considering that you would like to use the factory amplifier.

Now that I'm conscious and sneaking a few minutes to edit this post, insight on your harness is indeed necessary. Take a look at the new picture and let me know if the new harness has one male and one female that can "get jiggy" with each other -- one of which can do so with the harness labeled as "FRONT." There is a trick by which you can splice into the front speaker cabling and swipe power/ground. However, the big trick is still getting signal to your amplifier via your R6 radio harness. To do so, you would need a fifteen pin harness to jump into the R6 for signal for the amplifier.

In order to give you a more accurate answer, check Crutchfield for a pic of your harness and/or post up a dig pic. The quick thought is that you may have a wiring harness for the system without an amplifier, i.e. the wrong harness for your car given that you stated that your headunit has one harness (implying presence of amp).

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a bunch. I'm planning on just keeping the stock amp in for now and just going to upgrade peice by peice. Not trying to win any shows :). So, I guess that I will need to lengthen the wires of the two plugs on the harness so that they can reach from the head unit to the amp, huh?

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
93anthracite said:
thanks a bunch. I'm planning on just keeping the stock amp in for now and just going to upgrade peice by peice. Not trying to win any shows :). So, I guess that I will need to lengthen the wires of the two plugs on the harness so that they can reach from the head unit to the amp, huh?
No need to lengthen anything.

You should be able to connect the new harness into where the stock amp unplugs from.

Brian

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok, I've tried posting the pic six times now and get nothing more than "page cannot be displayed" error in the face... Will try later. In the meantime, toss out the info on the harness you have.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Doesn't the new harness plug in down farther on the trans hump? It doesn't plug into the factory plug that goes into the factory deck. Further down the harness you unplug a couple of connectors and put the new connector there. I know this has been discussed. I'll look around for a better explaination.

Ok, here is how I explained it to someone else a long time ago:

Don't plug into the connector attached to the deck. Look down on the right side under the radio on the transmission hump. There are a couple of connectors there that end up going towards the amp. Unplug and hook the new harness there.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Wish I had gotten the opportunity to check this again before I tackled the problem again, might have made my day go a little smoother.
After taking off the seat, it came to mine and my friend's understanding that the two plugs in the amp weren't going to help us either :). Got to drive up to Crutchfield to talk to the install coordinator while my car was all in peices; what an experience.
Turns out that there are 2 plugs on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel behind where the stock head unit went. Pull those two plugs out, plug in Crutchfield harness = easy install and everything works. Plus, I took out the old amp, a little weight loss never hurt anybody.
Now my only complaints are that I have no sub and the antenna stays up as long as the unit is on, regardless of CD or antenna. Any of you guys know how to remedy this, so that I can have the antenna up only when the radio is on?
Thanks again for all the help. Was a straightforward and easy install once I found the right hole to put it in :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am glad to see Crutchfield steered you in the right direction... Definitely plugs into the plugs on passenger side of transmission tunnel.. As for the antenna, the brand of radio is often the cause of the antenna staying up issue.. Pioneer is notorious for this but brands such as Alpine have the ability to lower antenna when CD or any source is being used but the AM/FM.. It mainly depends on brandname and what decks have this ability..

Also, you an easily get an amplified bass tube or aftermarket 2/1 channel amp with bass crossover that will connect from the RCA's on the radio and supply power to the stock subwoofer.. You will probably blow it eventually but this is a temporary fix to get your 'bass fix'..

Feel free to post any other questions if needed...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, well... I pointed out the front/rear harnesses and thats what you're stuck with. I thought that was a whack harness adapter and it is... In theory you could still use the stock amp. I'm honestly surprised that your harness doesn't directly address the use of the factory amp. If you want to use the factory amp, the radio harness (R6) provides signal to the amp with blue/red/white/brown (front left/right, rear left right) and uses common ground. I originally thought you had such a setup, but doing such would require three, not two. One to connect with your main radio harness (R6) and a male/female to jump in S10D to grab constant/acc/ground yet keep the front speakers connected to the amp.

Wonder if anyone makes such a harness set... No idea off the top of my head considering that I jumped on one half of S10 for power/acc/ground/antenna and gutted any factory audio. Two choices at hand -- search for correct harness assembly to wire everything in and take advantage of the factory amp or pick up a good three channel amp and get a decent sub (ditch rears to preserve imaging and set the weak-nut factory sub on fire).

Which Pioneer did you end up with?

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Park: I've got the DEH-P7400MP. I've already bought replacements for the rear 6.5" speakers, just need to find some time for the install and bring myself to tear apart my interior again. Anybody have any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive replacement for my blown door speakers (preferably 4" as I'm not sure I want to do the 6.5" mod)?

Roadie: the lack of sub isn't too bad and I suppose I'll just have to cope with the antenna :). Prolly shouldn't be listening to the radio at high speeds anyways, huh.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The harness that Metra has always marketed is a generic type one that is used on all Toyotas and is meant to bypass the factory amp and use deck power.. The additional amp is about the only way to go without a 'custom' harness.. You can get an amplified bass tube for under $100 on Ebay and hook it to the RCA's for some bass and can be removed for extra room if needed.. The Pioneer is good radio just doesn't allow for antenna going up and down...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts