Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed hks 264 cams in my jdm supra tt bpu +++
it has the stock ecu fuel pressure regulator
I was under the impression that this would run properly on the stock ecu now I can't drive it over -10 psi boost cause it cuts and stalls

does anyone know what has to be done to be able to run these cams with stock ecu or if I have to go for a fuel computer which one?

any help appreciated

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Are U sure that your timing is 100% ok? Basically it should work fine or at least almost fine and shouldn´t behave like this. Maybe something else is wrong? crankshaft sensor?
Gerd

·
OCC
897 Posts
I would double check to make sure that the cam timing is where it should be. Make sure all 3 lines (two at the cam gears, one at the crank) line up properly. Also, make sure everything is plugged back in... crank sensor, cam position sensors, etc.

sushi

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
chromesupra said:
I've just installed hks 264 cams in my jdm supra tt bpu +++
it has the stock ecu fuel pressure regulator
I was under the impression that this would run properly on the stock ecu now I can't drive it over -10 psi boost cause it cuts and stalls

does anyone know what has to be done to be able to run these cams with stock ecu or if I have to go for a fuel computer which one?

any help appreciated

You installed U.S. Spec HKS 264's on a JSPEC Vvti Motor??? Please clarify!

·
Supra owner
421 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
His car is 95 auto Jspec ... so it's not VVTi

The HKS cams should work fine with stock ECU I did it several times ... US and JSpec HKS cams are exactly the same .... so try to find the problem somewhere else ... as some said if you are sure that your cams timing is correct and all the sensors pluged in you should look into something to do with Ignition or fuel ... so did you change anything else apart from the cams??? was the car running good before the swap??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my car was running perfect till this....I will try and check the timing and sensors are they easy to get to? cause I don't have the know how to pull it all apart that's up to the mechanic, I will zero the cam gears though thanks for your help will keep you posted

I don't wanna go another computer most of us don't just throw money away unless we have to so if I can keep the stock ecu I will :)

S

·
0 Posts
did you install the cams corrently ? did you have the cam lobes going the right direction when you installed it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't install it I had A grade mechanic do it I trust that he did it correctly I just don't know enough about them personally to see if it was done correctly, I thought it was a bolt in drive away mod now i'm paying dearly for it what's the timing suppose to be on the crank when you line everything up? cause it looks all good I zeroed the cam gears too nothing changed

Not sure whether to give to another mechanic to check it or is it cause of stock ecu, he said the ecu can't handle the extra duration from 224 I think jap spec is to 264 that it is now and he assured me he did everything correct could it be the injectors can't pulse at the right time? or does it definately sound like it was done incorrectly?
it's a 95 TT auto Jspec

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ECU has nothing to do with your problem mate .... it seems to me that your mechanic has fitted the cams correctly b/c it's a straight forward jop and any mechanic who fitted cams in other cars can do the 2JZ ... but from his explenation to you it looks like he never worked in a TT Supra before.

I think your problem is wrongly fitted vacuum hose somewhere ... this is a common problem in a stock TT 2JZ because there's tonnes of these hosses going every where which makes it easy for some one who work in the 2JZ for the first time to get lost.

I recommend you check the vacuum hosses going in and out from the pressure tank underneath your intake manifold they do the same symptoms when they are swapped arround or not fitted.

Good luck mate !!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is fixed!!!!!!!
I'm so grateful that all you guys bar some have convinced me that they work on stock ecu, cause I was so close to giving it back to the mechanic and cutting my losses by undoing the job and putting stock cams back in ..... but I gave it one last go looked for cracked hoses under manifold and seeing if all cylinders were firing, IT was the number 1 cylinder the dickhead mechanic had broken the plug to the coil pack but from looking at it it was connected so that must have caused the car to go into limp home mode, once again

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem is fixed!!!!!!!
I'm so grateful that all you guys bar some have convinced me that they work on stock ecu, cause I was so close to giving it back to the mechanic and cutting my losses by undoing the job and putting stock cams back in ..... but I gave it one last go looked for cracked hoses under manifold and seeing if all cylinders were firing, IT was the number 1 cylinder the dickhead mechanic had broken the plug to the coil pack but from looking at it it was connected so that must have caused the car to go into limp home mode, once again THANKYOU ALL for your advice cause I was up shits creek with what was going on.

Anyway I havn't dynoed the car with the new cams but from the bum in the seat feel it feels awesome revs out stronger and at 16psi it makes 20hp more GTECH HP's than it was before at 19psi so i'm wrapped best PLUS+ mod i've ever done
when I get a dyno done I'll post it and tell you all results
it also runs rich at idle at with these cams and idle alters only slightly from 950-1000 burbling cams yeah baby!
highly recommend this mod for you stock turbo BPUers that want extra power and torque

·
Registered
538 Posts
Did you swap the valvesprings out?

-Corey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts