Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting Eibach's on my 94 and can't get the shock out. The car is on stands and the shock nuts and bolt are all out but I can't get it out of the car. Did you guys remove the sway bar bolt?? or compress the spring while in the car?? I'm working on the fronts right now. I'm probably missing something obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You've got to disconnect the sway bar link and pull out the long bolt holding the upper wishbone. On the drivers side it's a pain because the washer tank is in the way. Manual says to unbolt the washer tank to make room to get the bolt out. I put the bolt back in the opposite way so I won't have that issue again.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sway bar link nut spins freely, how to remove

I was able to get the upper wishbone bolt out but the sway bar link is giving me lots of problems. The nut just spins and spins, it's turning inside of the grease packed end of the link. Do you have to take apart the link to remove it? There is a clip that holds the rubber boot on, what a mess that would be to tear into that grease packed boot. Anybody know or remember how to do this. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Re: Sway bar link nut spins freely, how to remove

JdawgTT said:
I was able to get the upper wishbone bolt out but the sway bar link is giving me lots of problems. The nut just spins and spins, it's turning inside of the grease packed end of the link. Do you have to take apart the link to remove it? There is a clip that holds the rubber boot on, what a mess that would be to tear into that grease packed boot. Anybody know or remember how to do this. Thanks again!!
if you look at the head of the bolt, you will see an allen wrench key hole...stick one in there so that it keeps it from turning when you wrench out the bolt.

as to removing the shock....after disconnectin the sway bar, there is a little plate at the botom of the shock that is held in by 2 bolts, remove the bolts, and take the little bracket plate thingy out. you mite have to have someone push down on the brake to lower the whole suspension to do this, then have someone step on the brake to lower the whole suspension arm and remove the shock. gl, if you have any question feel free to ask..
i just installed kyb agx/eibach...and its still fresh in my head.

ps ...do not open up that grease packed boot, there is no need to make such a big mess.
another ps, do not put spring compressor on the springs while on the car....as a matter of fact you do not even need a spring compressor, they arent even that compressed. i just laid it flat in the grass, and took the nut out of the top and it BARELY shot out...however if your really concerned about it shooting out...then compress it, but it just takes more time and effort.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
heres what you do...first remove the engine side bolt that holds down the bracket the shock sits in. then loosen up the other bolt so that he bracket will move around. then angle the cup so its off the control arm or whatever it bolts too. then ave a friend stand on the rotor and bounce it a little. while hes doing this use a screw drive or something to pry the shock out of the bracket then lift it out. ive done it about..5 or 6 times and its worked everytime.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info guys. Last night after posting I decided to take one last look at it before calling it a night. That's when I discovered the hex opening in the sway bar link bolt. I didn't have to remove the lower shock bracket with the upper A-arm bolt out there was more than enough room to get the shock out. Now for the rears, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon. I really need to buy the shop manuals!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'll be trying the Eibachs install soon. I printed out the repair mauals for shock replacement off of mkiv.com. Hopefully between that and the info here, I won't have a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts