Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background...
I drive a 97 Lexus that has a replacement value of ~$52K. I had it appraised by Jeremy Blackwell and I presented my appraisal to a specialty car insurance company. I won't state what company but they are very well known in the specialty car world.

I got a letter in the mail Saturday from my insurance company that said they were not renewing my policy for next month because my Lexus is too much of a liability. My agent said it was because the car is making too much horsepower...

My agent said the next step would be to come up with a list of cars that make over 500 horsepower so she can show that to the insurance company and try to make them believe that my car is like any other high performance vehicle.

A few I can think of:

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 638 Horsepower
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 505 Horsepower
2009 Dodge Viper 600 Horsepower
2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 425 Horsepower
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 420 Horsepower
2009 Cadillac CTS-V 556 Horsepower
2009 BMW M6 500 Horsepower
2009 BMW M5 500 Horsepower
2010 Ford GT500 540 Horsepower
2007 Ford GT 550 Horsepower
2009 Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG 518 Horsepower
2009 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 670 Horsepower
2009 Nissan GT-R 473 Horsepower
2009 Audi RS6 580 Horsepower

They don't insure Bugattis or super high end exotics so I left those out. Can you guys help me add to the list so I can submit it to my agent. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Audi RS6, Audi R10 (I know you said no exotics so IDK what they will consider this), Dodge Viper. SRT8 Charger, Challenger, Magnum etc. are all upwards of 400hp right from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Audi RS6, Audi R10 (I know you said no exotics so IDK what they will consider this), Dodge Viper. SRT8 Charger, Challenger, Magnum etc. are all upwards of 400hp right from the factory.
Thanks for your input. I don't know if they'll consider those exotics either but it's worth a shot. :)

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
The 6.0 GTOs make 425 I think, the new G8 GT is close to 400, various Porsche cars (911, Cayanne, etc) make 400 and up, the Trailblazer SS has the 400 HP LS2 in it, hell even my MK3 is up there HAHAHA :sadance:

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 6.0 GTOs make 425 I think, the new G8 GT is close to 400, various Porsche cars (911, Cayanne, etc) make 400 and up, the Trailblazer SS has the 400 HP LS2 in it, hell even my MK3 is up there HAHAHA :sadance:
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I'm wanting to stick with cars making close or more than 500. That's the number she threw at me since I told her my car makes 550 hp.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
How do they know exactly how much horsepower your car makes? I'm curious since I've never had to report numbers like that to any insurer, despite mods or whatever. I think the real problem is that they found out the actual power rating of your modified car, but I'm curious how they did so (before you told them it makes 550). I would never disclose that type of information to an insurer since it seems like a sure thing that they would use it against you at some point. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
If they insure Bentleys pretty much all of their cars.

2008 Saleen S281 - 465hp

2008 Porsche GT2 - 530hp

2009 Range Rover Supercharged - 420hp

2009 Jaguar XKR - 420hp

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - 550hp

2009 Mercedes-Benz G55 - 507hp

2009 BMW 760Li - 438hp

Couldn't imagine owning something like an SL65 Mercedes-Benz and getting a letter in the mail saying "sorry we're dropping you because your car is too fast lolz" Insurance companies are something else, never understood them, never will.

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do they know exactly how much horsepower your car makes? I'm curious since I've never had to report numbers like that to any insurer, despite mods or whatever. I think the real problem is that they found out the actual power rating of your modified car, but I'm curious how they did so (before you told them it makes 550). I would never disclose that type of information to an insurer since it seems like a sure thing that they would use it against you at some point. Good luck! :)
I never disclosed how much power my car made until they asked. I told them 550 which is what the car makes on straight pump gas but they came back and said the car has potential to make more power with the parts that are on it. Apparently they looked at my car as a "special" case because the underwriters were so impressed by it. That drew too much unwanted attention on my part to the insurance company.

If they insure Bentleys pretty much all of their cars.

2008 Saleen S281 - 465hp

2008 Porsche GT2 - 530hp

2009 Range Rover Supercharged - 420hp

2009 Jaguar XKR - 420hp

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - 550hp

2009 Mercedes-Benz G55 - 507hp

2009 BMW 760Li - 438hp

Couldn't imagine owning something like an SL65 Mercedes-Benz and getting a letter in the mail saying "sorry we're dropping you because your car is too fast lolz" Insurance companies are something else, never understood them, never will.
Thanks for the help man.

If you type "specialty car insurance" in google, my insurance company is the third down on the list ;)

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
I never disclosed how much power my car made until they asked. I told them 550 which is what the car makes on straight pump gas but they came back and said the car has potential to make more power with the parts that are on it. Apparently they looked at my car as a "special" case because the underwriters were so impressed by it. That drew too much unwanted attention on my part to the insurance company....
I'm surprised they did that much research on it to be honest, but props to them for taking their jobs seriously I suppose. I wonder how they researched it, meaning I wonder if they even used forums like these? Interesting, to say the least.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm surprised they did that much research on it to be honest, but props to them for taking their jobs seriously I suppose. I wonder how they researched it, meaning I wonder if they even used forums like these? Interesting, to say the least.
yeah thats the same thing I was thinking. Stupid insurance company

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So was I. I was always under the assumption that these people didn't have a clue. I was told that the guy reviewing my car is apparently a car freak and he lusts over high horsepower imports :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
Tres keep me in mind I have an empty space in my garage you can always park it in my garage until you find a solution or another vehicle. I will take really good care of it:p . Hope things work out for you. Let me know if you need any help

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Wait, they researched the potential of your parts.. then request YOU send them a list of other high hp cars? :wtf: I bet they come back with a premium close to that of the cars in your list.

tell them you've found an insurer that's less of a pain in the ass.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts