Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

Need help identifying a part to bring my 96 mkiv 2jz ge supra back to life. Pertinent details:
The part number has been worn off otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I have to assume its part of the ignition system because when I turn the key it clicks twice and then nothing happens. The car has been in storage for 5 years and today after I changed the oil, oil filter, put fresh gas in, and a new battery - she wouldn't crank over. Just get 2 clicks from this thing pictured below. Pics Attached. I've searched a ton of permutations of the number I can see in Google without any luck. Really hoping someone knows what this is.

Attachments

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,311 Posts
ABS relay box for a non-turbo MKIV

·
From the land down under
4,105 Posts
Sadly, I dont think that is whats stopping your car from starting.

Do you get any clicks from elsewhere when you turn the key? Are you 100% sure that all of your electrics are plugged in, and your battery and starter motor, and alternator are connected properly?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,440 Posts
ABS relay box has nothing to do with starting...it's just clicking because you're turning the ignition ON.

Check your underhood fuses. Then check the soleniod wire on the starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick94TT, thank you for identifying it. Glad to know what it is now.
[B]Mr Ree NZ[/B], After reading replies, I believe you are correct. The issue is elsewhere. No clicks elsewhere. I'm 99% sure all electronics are plugged in and connected properly but will obvisouly be doubling check tomorrow when I have light.
Mr Ree NZ, understood. Will check underhood fuses and solenoid wire on the start tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...
I rechecked all the connections, took them off, put them back and the starter worked no problem this time. From the sounds of it - my starter is fine. Next I'm going to double check the relay and if that is ok then I suppose I have a bad fuel pump? Going to do some searching. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If a mod is reading this please close thread. I need to make a new one for a different topic.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,440 Posts
Next I'm going to double check the relay and if that is ok then I suppose I have a bad fuel pump
Fuel pump wouldn't prevent the engine from cranking.

I rechecked all the connections, took them off, put them back and the starter worked no problem this time
You fixed a bad connection by "rebooting" the connections. Either that, or you have an intermittent problem with the starter relay or solenoid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bitshftr - I assumed it was the fuel pump because it's trying to start but I don't hear the final step of combustion. She cranks now at-least. I'm going to keep searching for what to try/test next. Any suggestions?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,440 Posts
^ Well that's a completely different symptom than your original post. There are several others here who have more experience with a crank/no start problem than I do. But basically: fuel, air, spark. So yes, fuel pump (and fuel pump ECU), igniter, CPS (cam and crank), AFM, other grounds, and main ECU are a partial list of things to check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Well that's a completely different symptom than your original post. There are several others here who have more experience with a crank/no start problem than I do. But basically: fuel, air, spark. So yes, fuel pump (and fuel pump ECU), igniter, CPS (cam and crank), AFM, other grounds, and main ECU are a partial list of things to check.
Yes, the problem "changed" after cleaning the contacts you recommended. The engine now cranks. What I thought was a bad started was incorrect and now I'm led to believe that the fuel pump is bad. I have ordered a set of relay testers to handle checking that portion but now need to search on how to check the fuel pump ecu.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts