Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Fish tacos
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a problem, i have found a 1991 Supra with a lot of mods. The guy wants 5500 for it and it seems well worth it. i need to convince my parents that the car is worth the price, here it is
Now is where you folks come in, help me convince her that it is worht me spending 5500 on.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
not to burst your bubble or anything, but I dont think id pay $5k for a mk3 with a bhg. that just my opinion

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
SupraMK3wannabe said:
I forgot to clear it up sorry, bad thermostat thats all.

How do you know its just a bad thermostat?, come on now be serious! It was just a bad thermostat he would of spent $10 replacing it, and would of never mentioned the overheating problem in the first place ;).

I know whats its like to be anxious like you are to get a mk3. trust me been there. But why take on another mans headaches.

·
Fish tacos
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What should i do? I have less than a month to find another car or my ass is walking to work. I work in the freakin country! 20 miles away from my house. this sh!t sucks.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts

·
Fish tacos
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 89 is a scam, and i am planning a 1jz in the near future, i am 17 right now. Besides i dont really like the MA70 lights, the 3 pice conversion for them dosnt convince me enough to buy one.
P.S. I want a targa, 5spd, late 89+

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
Sorry, but do yourself a favor, buy an inexpensive daily driver, then consider buying a MKIII. A modified, 20 year old, turbocharged sports car should not be considered as a daily driver, you will regret it unless:

1. You or your dad is a mechanic, and have all the tools and skills to repair it.
2. You're rich and can afford to pay someone else to repair it.
3. You buy one that has hardly no miles and is completely stock.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Rajunz said:
Sorry, but do yourself a favor, buy an inexpensive daily driver, then consider buying a MKIII. A modified, 20 year old, turbocharged sports car should not be considered as a daily driver, you will regret it unless:

1. You or your dad is a mechanic, and have all the tools and skills to repair it.
I will agree with Rajunz fo sho!

·
Sexy Bitch
392 Posts
These guys are right. I bought my 89 T for $2400 with a BHG and now i'm another $2800 in because i decided to rebuild the motor, new clutch, ARP's, MHG, BIC DP, Blitz NURspec catback, wheels/tires, Hoses/gaskets..etc.

Unless you get a mint condition low miles babied mkiii, expect the car to need some work. This is why i drive a honda as my DD. :)

G

·
I highly doubt it's worth that much, I'll agree with Rajunz too. My 89 is my daily right now, only because I'm in a transistion from selling my Prelude. But if you want a Supre for a daily, make sure you have a lot of money, because sooner or later you will have to rebuild.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The car is decent, but nowhere near 5500 decent. Sorry man.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to say it, but I agree with everyone so far.

$5500 is too high.

It obviously has problems if it overheats once in a while. If it was just a bad T-stat, he probably woudl have fixed it.

Not to mention that who knows what mods are in it and if it was modded, you know the guy was driving it hard.

You can find something less expensive out there.

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
Pass on this one. The car looks nice BUT like the others said if it was the thermostat ( $12 from Toyota for oem) the seller would have changed it or had it done as it's very easy to do. The overheating issue definitely sounds like it has a bad HG, that's probably why he's selling it. Mods mean nothing in the price. I rather buy a stock Supra owned by an older person or woman than one that has been modified.
BTW, I didn't see a MHG with the other mods he has listed. 130k on the stock HG???

~ mike

·
Fish tacos
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rajunz said:

My dad and is a mechanic and i have been arround motors since i was 7. 1st motor i ever touched was my dads '76 shovel head. took me and him 4yrs to finish it. I have also had experance with my friends mk3, and he dosnt know much about cars.

·
Registered
357 Posts
SupraMK3wannabe said:
My dad and is a mechanic and i have been arround motors since i was 7. 1st motor i ever touched was my dads '76 shovel head. took me and him 4yrs to finish it. I have also had experance with my friends mk3, and he dosnt know much about cars.
Then you should know that 5500 is too much for a car with a bhg, I don't buy the "its just the thermostat" nonsense.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts