Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a cold air intake kit for an 87 MK3 Supra. I've been searching on google, but it keeps popping with the same K&N cold air intake cone, I want the air intake plus the short ram, but I just can't find any. If anyone can help list the cold air intake systems, that'd be great. Thanks.

·
7M PWR!
248 Posts
^ x2 make your own. thats what i did.

·
7m love... dont hate.
2,571 Posts
all it is is a pipe 2 couplers and a air filter. there really is no cold air intake for our cars. and im assuming you n/a. cause turbos go threw 1300 degree turbo so its pretty much useless.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
you never stated what model, turbo or na. For turbo there's cooleeze intake, but I've heard they went out of business, but it's it's for a na mk3, just go to autozone and buy those 29.99 intake for the hondas and acura and fitted in yourself.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
how do you make one? i know im new.
start off with a 3 inch pipe and cut how long you want it to be. You might need to take it to a shop to have it bend a little depanding on how you want it to look. It'll be a little hard if you don't have a pipe binder machine. Cheap way out, run to your nearest Autozone or Kragen and pick up a short ram intake for a honda or acura.

·
Registered
153 Posts
go here to get the adaptor for 40-50 bucks + shipping na/turbo.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=315&SearchYN=N

then go here to get the filter 10 bucks or local Autozone for 20.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-filter3inchred.php

then go to home depot to get the 3"-3.5" coupler.....about 5 bucks.

Put them together.....

DONE.

for pipes, go to metal shop and get 3" aluminum pipes.
cut them yourself to length. If you have to bend them, you can get some caps, fill it with water and freeze the pipe. take it to any muffler shop and have them bend for you. The ice will keep the pipe from cringing at the fold. It doesn't matter if they have a mandrel bender or not.
Get more rubber coupler, put them together and you're done.

I haven't done the pipe myself yet. but I've seen it done before.

Take it for what it's worth.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
About once a month there is a thread like this. Someone should do a write up of most commonly asked questions and post it in this forum since noone looks at the FAQ lol.

·
7M PWR!
248 Posts
I made mine for like $10-20.. piece of pipe, 1-2 couplers (mine took 2 cause i had the elbow separate from straight pipe), filter adapter, and cone filter of your choice (K&N for me)..

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
o stock is a cold air since it draws air from under the pass headlight. easiest mod out there. lol
holy crap! :)

For everyone else that gave an answer that was not this. Read that post x1000 times until it sinks in. OEM the 7m intake on both N/A AND turbo is CAI!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the oem intake is a fresh air intake, and not a true cold air. IIUC, a true cold air intake system prevents the engine operating temps from effecting the intake temps until the air reaches the throttle body. The intake filter systems that replace the oem air box while they flow more air, they are also flowing heated engine air. This heated air is often why the performance gains claimed by the manufacturer are rarely seen when the system is enclosed in the car. IME(not w/a Supra), there is a seat of the pants performance difference between the two systems, since the air remains at outside ambient temperatures. The one test I did w/the set-up I have in my truck there was a 40* drop in intake temps before and after the modification.

·
Automotive Technician
106 Posts
i bought a cold air intake for a sentra and that fit perfectly.. il see if i can get picture up0)
what year and motor sentra was it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts