Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck between the RMM downpipe and the Random Tech piece with the high flow cat.

The RMM one is $299 and the Random Tech is $589...but, I live in CA so I dont really want to worry about the Smog Nazis...is it worth it to spend the extra $300 for the catted one? Is there a significant difference in power? What would you do? Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
i've never lived in CA, so i'm not too familiar with the limits on emissions/smog and what you can get away with. but if you're looking for the best performance out of the two, the RMM DP is your best bet - any high flow cat downpipe is going to rob you of a bit of exhaust flow/power.. not sure where you're getting the pricing info on both DP's, but i found both for under 300 from C. Bergeman over at Horse Power Freaks. hope that helps..

-jim

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rte. 17 said:
i've never lived in CA, so i'm not too familiar with the limits on emissions/smog and what you can get away with. but if you're looking for the best performance out of the two, the RMM DP is your best bet - any high flow cat downpipe is going to rob you of a bit of exhaust flow/power.. not sure where you're getting the pricing info on both DP's, but i found both for under 300 from C. Bergeman over at Horse Power Freaks. hope that helps..

-jim
do you have a link to that site?

Also, as far as smog, getting the car smogged when it's time isn't a big deal...I can swap in the stock pipe...What I'm worried about is getting pulled over and found to have no cats, which would result in a potentially heavy fine ~$2000 :eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
get a used rmm downpipe for like 150. Ive been pulled over by oakland pd and told them straight up that I wasn't running any cats. he just gave me a fix it ticket and let me go.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shupore said:
get a used rmm downpipe for like 150. Ive been pulled over by oakland pd and told them straight up that I wasn't running any cats. he just gave me a fix it ticket and let me go.
I'll have to keep my eye out for a used one. :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get the rmm more power on the street and i doubt the downpipe with the high flow cat will pass the sniffer. when you go to smog your car just swap the downpipe back to the stock cats. its not that hard.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn, the horsepowerfreaks site isnt letting me into the supra section :mad:

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
You know of course that running even a Random Technology downpipe is illegal right? Removing your factory cat is against federal and california regulations.

If they see a Random Technology convertor on your car at Smog they WILL fail you on the visual inspection.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
braddman said:
You know of course that running even a Random Technology downpipe is illegal right? Removing your factory cat is against federal and california regulations.

If they see a Random Technology convertor on your car at Smog they WILL fail you on the visual inspection.
No, I know a friendly smogger...visual is fine...but the car would have to pass the sniffer test

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
braddman said:

Not entirely true. You are allowed to take them off and replace them if they were "damaged or failing".

Basically all you have to say is they got smashed on some train tracks or they were damaged.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will I feel a big difference from the DP on my otherwise stock car w/just the greddy catback?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
A while back some members talked about this. If you're afraid of random smog tests that may happen on the corner (as i've read happend in Cali) then get the RT DP. If you're just worried about the visual inspection then get the RMM and weld the lower shield from a stock DP to the RMM to make it look like you have one.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Get the RMM and a cheap cat, cut the cat open and weld it around the DP. This way it looks like you do have a cat with the flow and power of not having one. Plus I would think you could do this cheaper than $589 for sure. If you don't know of anyone that can weld it for you just take both to a shop, with the downpipe marked where the cat should wrap around it. Offer cash without getting a receipt at some hole in the wall shop.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Guys,

I have a connection for 3" RMM Style downpipes (bought from the same manufacturer overseas) brand new in box for $140+ $35 shipping anywhere in the continental USA...

PM me for details....

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rmm just keep the stocker around for smog tests

1 - 20 of 31 Posts