Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two bikes im looking at. I primarily ride to work, bout 20 miles each way. on the weekends though i like to go out and do a little twisties, nothing too crazy. Im a heavier rider, i tip the scales at 200. I used to have a 99 r6 for about 8 months and loved that although it got a little slow twards the end and sold it durring the winter season. So here are my two bike choces

1: 2001 TL1000R, 15k miles negotiated price of 3700. only damage is it's missing the battery cover. bright yellow, all original. needs a tuneup.

2 2000 R6 16k price is currently at 3800 but i THINK i could get him to 3500 laid down on both sides, but damage is purely cosmetic and really not TOO bad. red/white. All stock.

now you know about me, and my riding style..

What do you suggest?

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
depends on if your going to sell again?

you will sell the r6 easier when that time comes, but i would go w/ the tl

i've always liked those, but im a light wieght and i always go for the smaller bikes

look at sig thats what i have now!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why? I defenetly trust your judgement.

I hope it will be more confortible then the r6. im almost 6 feet, and the r6 is a little cramped :0

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
the tlr isn't so compact and it will be a better ride for your body ,imo

plus there badass bikes!

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
the price on the R6 is high
local guy sold a 99 last night with 12k miles on it for 3k.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thats why i didnt buy it.. i woulda bought it for 3250, but that was my limit. if it was clean i woulda payed more. the problem is fairings are so damn expensive.

the nice thing about the TL is i'm buyin it for very cheap. i could always flip it and make like 300 bux. expecialy since the season for riding starts very soon here (its still rainin here)

after reading a few more reviews I think the TL will be the best choice. faster then the r6 and more comfortible.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i picke dup the tl. payed 3700 and had him throwin a new tail cone for free. bikes in reasonable shape, does need a few hundred to make it really nice. i really like the torque. ill post some pics when i get a chance.

·
FUCK NOW!
1,076 Posts
I used to own that exact bike - a 2001 TL100R. The bike was great but from day one I had starting problems. Replaced the battery and it didn't help. Had to charge it every night. Brought it in under warranty countless times. Basically if I didn't get it started the second try then I had to push start. Nothing like push starting a bike with <100 miles on it.

Loved the beefy v-twin though. Do miss it.

Would definitely choose it over the the R6.

Jonny

·
Your mom
382 Posts
why? I defenetly trust your judgement.

I hope it will be more confortible then the r6. im almost 6 feet, and the r6 is a little cramped :0

Really? I was looking at the new R6S and it felt very nice comfort wise for me. Then again this will be my first bike and I dont have much experience seating position on other bikes.

P.S. I'm 5'11 216.

·
Resident Smartass
1,052 Posts
I used to be a TLR guru back in 2000 before I got into supras, You can appreciate the work on the bike. You will absolutely love it if you set it up RIGHT.

I have a trick ass grab bar for the back if you ever plan on riding your girl on the back, Custom made by Renntech in England, You can have fairly cheap if youare interested, its just collecting dust.

I would guestimate I had close to 17,000 in the bike after I was done with it. She was a bad bitch, License plate said ducslyr.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh ok cause I raced one of those and he told me it was tl 1000 and then I was reading this and thought maybe he was wrong about his own bike lol.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My friend has a TL1000R...fun bike...decent power and it actually handles much better than it looks.

At 200lbs...that may be a better fit for you since you plan on using it to commute and hit some back roads.

However, you can't go wrong with either bike though.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

SOLD!

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,111 Posts
I love how the bike looks so massive. I know looks are secondary, but I'm partial to the tougher, wider, more bulbous looking bikes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts