Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the same thread in General Discussion forum but didnt get any response yet so I thought maybe its in the wrong forum?

So heres my question...Which one is better to tune BPU for more HP? :)

There are a few JDM Soarers turbo's for sale here in Korea
There is only one 96 model= vvti + single turbo
The rest are 95 and earlier= no vvti + twin turbos

heres the 96 model about 56,000 kilometers and about 18,000 USD!
http://www.bobaedream.com/cyber/Cyb...tat=&gubun=ImportCar&features=&cat=&x=17&y=11
this is a 92 model with 77,000 km
http://www.bobaedream.com/cyber/Cyb...tat=&gubun=ImportCar&features=&cat=&x=38&y=13

I plan to buy one and tune it BPU= full exhaust, intake, FMIC, ECU and up the boost considerably.

I heard that that the stock turbos need to be upgraded to steel turbines replacing the ceramic turbines to go beyond 14.5psi

Which model is going to have more power BPU max allowed psi, the twins or single? Thank you so much for your input...
I will post pics when I get the Soarer!
JDM-yo :bigthumb:
btw what is the average HP on BPU 1jz-gte?

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
how about non and make life easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elaborate please? If theres no significant difference from BPU power levels I'm leaning towards the 96 vvti model because its newer/less mileage and I like the redesigned front bumper...I'm only going for BPU and maybe modifying the stock turbo(s) nothing crazy

I used the seach button but all I founded out is the vvti ECU is hard to tune in higher HP like 500+ Is the vvti ECU that much of a hinderance?

·
Banned
3,588 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd go vvti, i am pretty sure they are actually putting more power out of the box than the non vvti. Kinda like the real power ratings on the 2jzget vvti aristo.

Used parts from japan are easier to find for the non vvti engines though.

the vvti models also run 9:1 compression compared to the 8.5:1 of the non vvti, so that may factor into your decision also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about tunablity? is the vvt ECU gonna be a pain in the ass even though I am going to go BPU? I heard the ECU resets everything after tuning with a piggyback

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,253 Posts
Hey man,

if you are just going BPU i'd say VVTI for sure!

Can't go wrong. if you plan on going further go for the older one

·
Registered
923 Posts
May want to ask on the celicasupra forum, they have quite a few more vvti swapped cars than this forum. I asked the same question, and the few that replied said the vvti.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
If you are just bolting on intake/exhaust/IC then I'd go with the single VVTi.

They changed it for a reason.

Technology is not a bad thing...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes the more i learn about the vvti 1jz, it seems like it could make decent power with a PFC piggy back ECU and a bolt on upgraded turbo (forgot the name of it) to replace the CT26
thanks for the pros and cons!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I:m pretty sur wethey use a ct20b not a ct26

·
Registered
923 Posts
My mistake, its a ct15b. It definately is not a ct26.

·
Registered
416 Posts
btw, TRD makes a upgraded turbo for the VVTi still. It bolts onto the stock manifold. Too bad they dont have anything like it for us...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts