Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 turbo just developed this bad sounding noise up in the front cover/accessory area yesterday morning. I thought maybe it was my WP, so I swapped it out - only 45bucks at vatozone - took about 2+hrs and not too bad, but unfortunately that was not it. Sounds like bearings going out on a WP, but it is intermitant - ran for about 5min without the sound, then was back at next startup... It also has a component to it like something is rubbing, metal on metal or hard plastic (like the cover or soemthing else down in the bottom of the cover - yikes). So I thought something in the timing cover - removed the top half of the cover and checked the tensioner and it's spring, all looks good, no lateral movement, timing belt is all good. So what else can it be?? Any ideas out there?? Maybe the oil pump gear? or the lower crank gear at the bottom of the belt? No easy way to get th elower half of the cover off - the crank pulley would have to come off..... When the WP was off I checked all pullies - alt, PS, A/C - seem to be fine, no problem with belts ........aarrrrggggggg.......I am worried something will break or cause a problem with the timing belt while driving and bam! there goes my valvetrain - sometimes dohc can suck..... stevet

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had that sound, and found part of one of the screw head from the back cover had broken off and was rattling behind the cam gear.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it is the ps pump - was way low on fliud, so I added a good amount of atf merconII - quieted down considerably. Still making some noise though - got a feeling its on the way out.....
Thanks - stevet

·
Registered
710 Posts
green97TT said:
Looks like it is the ps pump - was way low on fliud, so I added a good amount of atf merconII - quieted down considerably. Still making some noise though - got a feeling its on the way out.....
Thanks - stevet
Did you check the reservoir filter/screen to see if it's clogged?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope - where is the filter/screen? inside the resevior somewhere? I actually have the toyota serve manual for my 91 turbo - so I could look it up - and figure out how to clean it/clear it of junk - thanks - stevet

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links - sogi rules! I will do both the cleaning of the tank and flush the system and see if my pump stops whining....who knows, may still need a new pump, but more likely I have old fluid/dirty screen causing my pump to overwork itself to deliver pressure, and thus, squeel like a pig!
Thanks - stevet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts