Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an eclipse 8443 HU. Here is what I need answers too. Please. I just want a very good sounding system with a small amp and factory replacement speakers

1. Door speakers with integrated tweeters (Brand model/size) I did search but the 4 inch standard is not probably not going to perform well. I do not want to drill for the external tweeter in the door. I saw Kappa and MB quartz?? But will they give me the highs tones of a tweeter as well as mids??

2. Rears. I know 6 -1/2(Speaker model brand needed). I want one that can handle an ample amount of bass with good sound.

3. Good amp for my basic needs (model brand).

4. Subwoofer ( I not sure if I need one) JL seems to be the best choice However can the rears handle my basic(enhanced needs)? If you think I should get one in case.. what size can two 8's work?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I am asking for too much. Just tell me what a good set of door speaker(2 way) and rears(if needed) or can I just get away with doing a sub w/amp

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Okay, coaxials (built in tweets) are not going to sound quite as good as a set of decent components. Considering components dont cost that much more and the mkiv has factory tweeter locations you might as well use them. MB Quartz are excellent components, while you can also look at CDT Classics (or higher if you want to spend the cash) or Focal's or DEI Vipers if you can fit them. That will cover some good sound for up front. Run any of those off a 80-120 watt rms amp and you'll be enjoying a great front stage. You could use a 2 channel amp for your fronts and then another 2 channel for your subs/rears but you could get away with a 4 channel. If you can find one the Tsunami DB4440 is an excellent little 4 channel with quite a bit of power. Anyway then for the rears, if you want to keep your targa top, and don't want to build a fancy box to fit...you could use your rear speaker mounts and put in subs in a small IB setup. JL 6W0's would work pretty well for this, would give you a decent amount of bass and wouldn't take much work to hook up. However I'm still a fan of 10 or larger subs. So if you don't mind losing some trunk space, you might want to look at element design subs (www.edesignaudio.com) They make some really nice stuff that doesn't take huge boxes and sounds super nice. The ED 8A would be a great small box woofer that would get really loud. Or perhaps a single 10 or 12 of any of the model lines. Power for that, you could use the back two channels on a 4 channel or look at a Avionixx 400.2 or 800.2 depending on what you decide on getting.

Other brands to look at for subs and amps:
DEI Directed (at sounddomain)
Resonant Engineering (at www.respl.com)
Adire Audio (www.adireaudio.com)
Avionixx (www.avionixxusa.com)
Element Design (www.edesignaudio.com)
JL (www.jlaudio.com)
Hifonics (at sounddomain)
JBL (www.jbl.com)
US Acoustics (at sounddomain)

Some good online retailers:
www.ikesound.com
www.thezeb.com
www.sounddomain.com (if you price match)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I like the focal and have found a set of components. I thought it was hard to get the factory tweeters out?? I saw a post where you could scrap them out? but is'nt that too much work?(I do want highs but I do not want to drill into the door)?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Yes I've heard it takes quite a bit of work to get the factory tweeters out, however if you have a good afternoon you should be able to do it yourself and the end results will definetly be worth it.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Nice combo.. eclipse and focals. You won't be disappointed :) I am running the same. With eclipse subs/zapco amp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts