Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok me and a friend are installing all of my new parts today and I just want to know, what is the exact installation procedure to install the HID headlights? I couldn't find it on MKIV.com, and I have searched this who website for info relating to it and couldn't find it there either.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
installing HIDs is very straight forward. my HIDs are osram ballasts with xenon bulbs so i'm not sure if they will be the same.
check the back of the box, it should have instructions to install them. if not, then i'll try to help.

first of all, wear a pair of latex gloves. you don't want to put any destructive oils on the bulbs. remove the old light bulbs and detach them from their sockets. notice the socket, the HID wiring will plug directly onto that socket. also, on the HID wiring, if your kit came with a relay, plug that into HID wiring as well. then install the HID bulb onto one of the wires coming from the ballast. with gloves on, just twist the bulbs and hand tighten them. then turn your headlights on for testing. if the HIDs are not lighting, switch off your lights and go back to the socket area and flip the HID plug thats going into the socket (this reverses the polarity). then turn your headlights on again for testing. they should be on now if not the first time. finally, you can mount your ballast somewhere.

hope everything goes well.

B

·
0 Posts
Cool!
Billy, do u have pic showing what your light at night? is that really blue?

also, i wonder how much did u get that for?

because one of my friend got his HID for his Stealth's headlight and fog light only around $100 on from a groupbuy.:eek:

·
road hazard
452 Posts
here's a picture of my HIDs with the stock fog lights next to them. notice how yellow the fogs look.

i got them from ranger498 for $475 shipped and they're well worth the money.

geez...your friend got a damn good deal for HID low beams AND fogs for $100, assuming these are real HIDs and not some HID look-alike light bulbs. sh!t, thats 4 ballasts and 4 bulbs. how many people were in the group buy?

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok we have figured out how to install them but where did you mount the ballast, its pretty big?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
97TTdawg said:
Ok we have figured out how to install them but where did you mount the ballast, its pretty big?
a great location is directly underneath the headlamps. once you remove the headlamps, you'll know exactly what i'm talking about. that is, by the far, the best location i've found in our mkivs to mount the ballast. industrial strength velcro will do just fine. make sure you clean the area well with rubbing alcohol so the adhesive will stay on securely.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
When I installed mine, I just put them in the engine bay. No need to be taking off the front bumper or headlights. Didn't take too long. All the plugs only go in a certain way and they're all color coded (red & black)very straight forward. Once I opt to go FMIC or something that dictates a need to remove all that stuff, than I'll consider moving them under like everyone else has.

Does any one have a picture of the ballast under the headlamps?

Enrique M.
97 TT 6spd

·
road hazard
452 Posts
kingerm said:
When I installed mine, I just put them in the engine bay. No need to be taking off the front bumper or headlights. Didn't take too long. All the plugs only go in a certain way and they're all color coded (red & black)very straight forward. Once I opt to go FMIC or something that dictates a need to remove all that stuff, than I'll consider moving them under like everyone else has.

Does any one have a picture of the ballast under the headlamps?

Enrique M.
97 TT 6spd
its a method of hiding the ballast and looking "stock" so no mischievous mechanics or buglars feel like taking them. thats the significance of having the ballast underneath the headlamps.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
toysupra1
you explaind this well!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Re: off the topic...

veilsidemkiv said:
hey watsup toysupra1, i been seein your supra everyday at skool and i have to say, damn you keep that dawg shining. its sooo dirt-free,shiny, and glossy. mad props :)
thanks bro. david (gxs0r) told me that the other day. zaino kicks ass!

i always see your celica too. looks good man! give me a holler if you see me in the supra. i'm probably playing video games or watching a movie in it before class.:p

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks ALOT guys for all the info. Im not to worried about them getting stolen by a mechanic because my dad is the only person that works on my car unless its a major thing. But thanks again!
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts