Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
help me out, loose bolt

I was driving around and suddenly the shifter started feeling rough and we heard a clicking noise from the engine bay. I pulled over and popped the hood. It was coming from the fan area and I was only about a mile away so I limped her home. She sounded ok once I got up to speed. The heat started going up a little, to about 60% on the gauge. A couple times the battery light flashed on while I was turning. Anyway at idle she was clicking like crazy and so I turned it off and checked for codes. Fast blink so none. I look a little deeper around the fan area where the noise was coming from and found this just resting at the bottom on the undercover of the engine bay. I think the clicking might have been the fan hitting this bolt. The tips of the fan are worn and scratched a little bit I don't think it was like that before. Also all the belts and pullies seem tight and not loose. Somebody please tell me, without flaming :), what is this bolt and can I just put it back in and assume everything is ok?

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wtf is this the one that goes to 195 ft lbs? how the hell do i do that

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
Lightning said:
wtf is this the one that goes to 195 ft lbs? how the hell do i do that
well first go out and look at the crank pulley and see if there is still a bolt there :rolleyes: then go to your local hardware store and by something called a "Torque Wrench" that will tell ya when you have hit 195 ft/lbs, aight good luck, apeace

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what bolt am i looking for, dont i just need to put in this one that i have in the pictures? and my torque wrenches only goto 145 ft lbs, can I just max em out and a little more, maybe check on the bolt once in a while and it will be ok?

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
Lightning said:
what bolt am i looking for, dont i just need to put in this one that i have in the pictures? and my torque wrenches only goto 145 ft lbs, can I just max em out and a little more, maybe check on the bolt once in a while and it will be ok?
I was just playing, but that bolt belongs on the crank pulley, and the wrench i used that went that high is made by Husky, try those, they can be found at home depot, agith good luck, peace

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
LMFAO..... I was reading the thread and was like hmm....no big deal, just a bolt prolly from the fan clutch or something.... then i saw the picture and JUST ABOUT CRAPPED MY PANTS! Dude i've lost a motor cuz of that very bolt aswell! If i were you i'd look to see if there's any wear on the crank it self caused by the wobbling pulley, if not i'd stick this son of a gun back on there TIGHT with out driving the car a second more! VERY IMPORTaNT BOLT!!!! DONT WAIT TO PUT IT BACK IT!

Kruso

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im hoping to swap my motor soon. so im just gonna put it back on and hope nothing happened to the crank. LOL

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kruso said:
LMFAO..... I was reading the thread and was like hmm....no big deal, just a bolt prolly from the fan clutch or something.... then i saw the picture and JUST ABOUT CRAPPED MY PANTS!
sorry lightning, but i had to laugh too. BTW, why do you want to swap your engine?? is your current one bad? have you done a compression, or leak down test? what signs tell you it's time for replacement? just curious.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Lightning said:
im hoping to swap my motor soon. so im just gonna put it back on and hope nothing happened to the crank. LOL
You REALLY need ot crank this thing down to 195 pounds. If you don't, it will come out again.

I'd be very suprised if your crank snout is fine after that falling out.

Go to sears, and get the 1/2 drive torque wrench. I'm thinking it goes up to 200. You'll have to get creative on how you're going to hold the engine still to torque this bolt.

I've used a very long pipe wrench with the jaws "biting" the inside edge, and the outside lip of the pulley. The handle of the wrecnh was against the floor. This has worked for me a few times.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ill bet $20usd the crank/pully is ROOTED if its stoped spinning the crank pully while the engine was running the woodruf key is GONE thus so would the keyway itself!

these bolts commonly stretch on just about all M series motors :(

Allan

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There may not be too much damage yet at all- Just torque it down and I recommend a bit of locktight to insure it stays in place this time.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
PS- If there IS any damage to the keyway, you'll be able to tell by watching the crank pulley from above once you've correctly re-installed the bolt. You would see a side-to-side wobbling/vibration if there is damage.
"AIGHT- PEACE"

3,796 Posts
I didnt even use a torque wrench...just get a breaker bar and put a long ass metal tube over it and crank it till you cant crank no more :D Im pretty sure you cant OVERtighten it.

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
amorak said:
:biggrin:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that phrase is retarded.
Blah, y'alls are all jealous :rolleyes: and by the way, I RECOMMEND NOT USING LOCKTITE, seems like the idiot before may of used lock tite on mines and thats what caused the bolt to shear off, but yeah, just as i told you last night man, just torque it down good and F the GE, your going GTE anyways :cool: AIGHT PEACE

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hell yeah im just gonna torque the hell out of it. no locktite, ill just check on it every once in a while to make sure its not gonna screw me over.

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
What you NEED to do is remove all the belts. Then remove the crank pulley and check the woodruf key. As long as the crank, keyway and key are good then you can put the crank pulley back on then install and torque the crank pulley bolt back on.

Scott

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
the craftsman 1/2 " torque wrench goes to 250 lbs/ft.

Also That bolt needs replacing. The threads are stirpped.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts