Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i really need some help and/or advice, lately (last few weeks) when i get in the car, push in the clutch, i turn the key and i just get "Click"... again "click"... after a few times my car usually starts but sometimes it takes like 10 turns. I think its my starter goin bad, I have an MKIV Supra NA with 117k on it, new wires and so on, not sure about the starter, anything i can do? (tighten something/check something?) or should i take it to the Toyota dealership? Thank u very much! Peace, Nick

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Starter bro. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The exact same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. Click, click. click, varooooom. New starter cured that problem.

Eric

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much did u pay?

Dealership? oh and i heard i can get it "rebuilt" is that true?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let me ask a quick question before you diagnois the problem. When every you hear the "click" noise, do the dash lights blink also.....If so it is not your starter but is your battery. Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Thought it was the starter but ended up being the battery. Just hoping to save you a couple bucks and hours.

Later,

Brad

A

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem a while back. I changed the clutch start switch. under the clutch pedal(29$) from jay marks. After a while it started to do the same. I was like WTF! It turned out the after I installed my battery I didn't have it tight enough. On the battery connection there is a plastic collar thing that goes in between the clamp that was interfering . I couldn't clamp that tight. Also I had one of those anti-corrosion pads that was too thick. I ended up changing the battery just in case since it was a no-name battery. Starters are like 300 $ plus or just search online. I think I got quoted like 200. Seems like a bitch to change!!! Hope this helps.Alex 93tt6spd hardtopper....in the shop getting a paintjob.

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure if my dash lights blink... i will check in a bit.

are u asking if they like flash once? this may be wierd but sometimes i think it just might not recognize the clutch being depressed? sometimes when i like slam the clutch down harder it works, so maybe the clutch starter switch? thanks a lot guys for your help.

A

·
0 Posts
that same thing happened to me. 29 bucks at jay marks c/o jeff watson. takes only 10 minutes to change. clutch start switch. another thing you could do is , is just wire them together before the switch. I've heard that done before. Alex 93tt6spd hardtopper

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it hasnt done it in a while but...

if the key turns and i hear a "click" does that mean it recognizes the clutch?

A

·
0 Posts
well just turn the key and note the result, then reach down and push the button and turn the key and see what happens. It is either that switch, low battery( jump it to see if it is that), a loose connection to the battery or loose starter connections( I took mine off and cleaned them). or it could be a bas starter. hope this helps Alex 93tt6spd hardtopper

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a 94 NA with 95K. Mine did the same thing, click...click......click...START. I think you are going to need a new starter. Cost me about $ 460.00 installed at a Toyota dealer. Mechanic told me that these Supra starters get flat spots in the armature at about 90K, that's why you have the random clicks and starts. Starts right up every time now. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts