Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well, I'm the mod over in the MKIII section, and I have some questions... You see, my lil' bro is looking @ what I think is a MKII ... The ad says Celica GTS, but I realize that the Supra is just a trim level of the GTS, correct?

Anyhow, This is the picture:

I see that it has Supra Rims, and the upper spoiler, so does this mean it is in fact a Supra?

Anyhow, my question is, what should I be looking for in this car? Any common sh*t that I should keep an eye for?

I've yet to see it in person, but it has lest then 190K KM's, so it should be in relatively good shape, I hope - Picture sure looks good! :eek:

Jared

·
Registered
717 Posts
that car is a 2.2L 4cyl... notice the hood is shorter. supras are 6cyl's and will have a longer hood that has a little bump up the middle. that is NOT a supra

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front ends on the MKII Supras are different as well.......Sorry that is definetly not a Supra....

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Big difference is the engine 22RE vs the 5M. Plus most everything forward of the fire wall is different. The interior looks the same but is mostly different. The important supra parts are there though IRS, fancy buckets, wheels, etc. I would consider them the Supras little brother. Big thing to watch out for on the 22R is timing chain guides breaking. Basically they're plastic and can break and allow the timing chain over time wear a hole in the timing cover. And the hole usually breaks thru in the water passage, spewing water into the oil pan. It's not really a big problem. 22r are known for their durability, well taken care of they'll last a long time. But also note that they're not known for their power making ability nor are they a very smooth engine. On the plus side they get much better gas mileage. That's a pretty sharp looking Celica also. You don't see to many clean ones these days. Also that spoiler was added on (common) Celicas didn't get the wings.

Aaron I

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
SupraSnd said:
I've seen quite a few MKII's with wings like that. The later Celica's came with wings as an option.
Regardless of the wing, the front-end definitely indicates that the car is not a MkII Supra.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are still quite good for a 4 cylinders. I once tried one that was quite beat up and I was still impressed. It's a '84 Celica GTS as others said. Unless front lights look upward when off, in which case it would be '82 or '83. Yes the GTS had Supra's spoiler and rims.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is, without a doubt, a 1984 Toyota Celica GT-S, and its in beautiful shape too. as you can see in my sig, i used to own one, it was white. lots of fun to drive. no where near as much power as my supra, but it still had its kick. i really loved that car, lots of good memories. =D

·
Registered
717 Posts
well i still do drive one....

so there : )

150k miles and still kickin, just so long as i give it the quart-per-month it likes to seep from every little seal.

5spd
power everything
that badarse multi-point pneumatic bucket seat

still want my supra tho... still lookin

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice looking car, Celicas did NOT have wings from the factory. They are similar to an MK2, but not an MK2. Look for RUST!! everywhere!!! Check by the flares, hatch, and door jams, very common places.

Any picture makes a car look good, in my case my pictures do my car no justice!

Make sure you and your bro look it over really, really good, just make sure you check everything.

later,

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Joe -- your sig pic doesn't show. LMK if you need it hosted.

Just email me the picture if so and I'll send you the url.

·
Banned
909 Posts
I have an 85 GT

The GTs only real differences from the Supra is the front end. The GTs has the same independent read axel, and technically speaking the Celica is the big brother of the Supra (Who came first?!)

GTS did come with spoilers (not wings, thank you) factory, and that car would be an 84. Good year, though the engine is different then that of the 85 and later motors, so that could be a concern. I had an SR5 22R powered pickup with 287,000 KM on it, not a problem, ran great. Beat the shit out of it every day.

My Celica has 202,000 KM on it, not a problem at all. At first I was concerned with the rather small u-joints, but have learned that they are more then strong enough for the rather small power of the 22RE(113HP for 84, 116HP for 85). Check the underside of the car, mine had a factory undercoat, rust is a major problem on these cars. Also perfect running 22Rs will eat oil at anything above 5000RPM, so if your bro likes to play then make sure he keeps up with the oil, I know that If I don't go above 4000RPM, I don't lose a drop of oil, but I can near drain the car in 1500 KM if I beat the shit out of it.

Another thing, is that after many KM, what will happen is that an O-ring will go on the oil pump causing a slow oil leak from the pump. It went on my celica, though I didn't have to do it, as my dads best friend did it before I got the car. K&N air filters make a big difference, and I've found that ATF in my w58, made the tranny that much better.

I'd suggest 15-40 for the summer, will help keep the eating of the oil down, and 10-30 for the winter, other wise you get really loud valve train click. Also, keep in mind to check the valvetrain every 20,000 KM. I used to do it every 10, but I've noticed that it doesn't really change, well hasn't over the last 30,000km.

If you have any other questions let me know, also if you think your bro might bag on the car, my 22RE and ECU (you'll need a diff wiring harness) will be for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts